George Hardwick

George Hardwick

George Hardwick est né à Saltburn le 2 février 1920. Il a joué à l'arrière gauche de South Bank. Le manager d'Arsenal, George Allison, l'a vu jouer mais lui a dit: "Vous avez beaucoup d'habileté et une force énorme, mais je pense que vous êtes trop gros derrière pour jamais faire le grade en tant que footballeur."

Malgré ces commentaires, il a signé pour Middlesbrough en 1936. Il a reçu 3 £ 10 par semaine, avec un bonus de 2 £ pour avoir joué dans une victoire en équipe première. Les autres membres du club à l'époque comprenaient Wilf Mannion, George Camsell, Dave Cumming, Benny Yorston, Micky Fenton, Ralph Birkett et Harold Shepherdson.

Hardwick a fait ses débuts lors de la saison 1937-38. Dans la première minute du match, Hardwick, le plus jeune arrière latéral de première division, a réussi à marquer contre son camp avec son premier coup de pied dans l'équipe première. Malgré ce début terrible, il a conservé sa place dans l'équipe jusqu'à ce que sa carrière soit interrompue par la Seconde Guerre mondiale.

Hardwick a remporté sa première sélection internationale pour l'Angleterre contre l'Irlande du Nord le 28 septembre 1946. Franklin a conservé sa place et cette saison a joué contre la République d'Irlande (1-0), le Pays de Galles (3-0), les Pays-Bas (8-2) , Ecosse (1-1), France (3-0), Suisse (0-1) et Portugal (10-0). L'équipe d'Angleterre cette saison comprenait des joueurs tels que Raich Carter, Tommy Lawton, Wilf Mannion, Harry Johnston, Neil Franklin, Laurie Scott, Tom Finney, Stanley Matthews, Stan Mortensen, Billy Wright et Frank Swift.

Hardwick a conservé sa place dans l'équipe d'Angleterre et lors de la saison 1947-48, il a joué contre la Belgique (5-2), le Pays de Galles (3-0), l'Irlande du Nord (2-2), la Suède (4-2) et l'Ecosse (2 -0). Cependant, une grave blessure au genou met un terme à sa carrière internationale. Cependant, Hardwick a réussi à récupérer sa place dans l'équipe de Middlesbrough.

En 1950, Hardwick a rejoint Oldham Athletic en tant que joueur-manager. Il avait marqué 5 buts en 143 matchs avec Middlesbrough. Lors de sa première saison, le club a terminé 15e de la troisième division. Oldham a été promu en deuxième division après avoir remporté le titre de champion lors de la saison 1952-1953. Cependant, la saison suivante, Oldham a terminé à la 22e place et a été relégué. Hardwick a pris sa retraite en 1955 après avoir marqué 14 buts en 190 matchs pour Oldham.

Hardwick est devenu manager du PSV Eindhoven en 1957. Plus tard, il a été nommé responsable de l'équipe nationale de football des Pays-Bas. Il a également entraîné Middlesbrough et géré Sunderland et Gateshead.

Mike McCullagh est devenu le président de Middlesbrough en 1982. Il a affirmé plus tard que sa première décision était d'accorder un témoignage à Hardwick et Wilf Mannion. "Je connaissais les nombreuses demandes pour cela et je n'ai jamais pu comprendre pourquoi cela n'avait pas été le premier sur la liste des matchs à avoir lieu. Wilf et George étaient deux des joueurs les plus célèbres que Middlesbrough ait jamais vus et deux des plus aimés joueurs."

Le 17 mai 1983, Bobby Robson a amené un onze anglais pour jouer à Middlesbrough. Une foule de 13 710 personnes, 3 000 de plus que la moyenne à domicile cette saison-là, a vu le match. Le vice-président du comité des témoignages, Terry Jackson, a déclaré: "Quand Wilf et George sont finalement sortis avant le match, j'ai eu des larmes qui coulaient sur mes joues. C'était le plus grand plaisir de ma vie et chaque membre du comité ressent la même chose."

George Hardwick est décédé le 19 avril 2004.

J'ai l'impression que la réputation de George Hardwick s'est effondrée plus rapidement qu'il ne le méritait après le match Angleterre contre Ecosse à Hampden Park en avril 1948. Jusqu'à ce moment-là, il avait été le choix automatique de son pays, et capitaine aussi, mais une blessure lui a ensuite coûté son place sur la tournée de la Football Association, et il n'a pas pu revenir au niveau international.

George est un grand bonhomme, avec l'heureux don de pouvoir faire une suggestion à un joueur, voire de critiquer, sans laisser de sentiments blessés. Peut-être que ses tacles n'ont pas toujours été aussi meurtriers qu'un ou deux autres arrières latéraux de son époque, mais dans l'ensemble, il était et est un footballeur de première classe. Sur et en dehors du terrain, il fait honneur au sport.


Comté de Montgomery Kentucky

Ce sont des coupures de journaux parues dans une colonne de généalogie du Mt. Sterling Advocate, écrite par Harry W. Mills. La chronique généalogique de Harry W. Mills est apparue à l'origine dans le Mt. Sterling Advocate dans les années 1940 et 1950.

Les premiers dossiers disponibles répertoriant les familles à Mt. Sterling, Ky., sont inclus dans le recensement du comté de Montgomery de 1810. (Le recensement de 1800 du Kentucky a été détruit lorsque les Britanniques ont brûlé le Capitole à Washington pendant la guerre de 1812). Le livre de 1810 contenant le dénombrement du comté de Montgomery se lit comme suit : « Schedule of the . Persons within the Division Allotted to Hardage Smith .. Et la liste du mont Sterling commence : « Mount Sterling, 30 août 1810. »

Familles à Mt. Sterling, 1810

En 1810, il y avait 40 familles résidant à Mt. Sterling, et ce sont les « chefs de famille ».

Population totale du mont Sterling, 1810 : Blancs : Hommes, 89 femmes, 154 au total 243 de couleur, 50 ou plus (les chiffres étant illisibles dans de nombreux cas)

Voici de brefs croquis généalogiques de certaines des 1810 familles :

FERGUSON -- William Ferguson, chef d'une famille composée de six hommes et d'une femme. William Ferguson est né en Virginie en 1787. Il a épousé Susanna Smith, née en 1789, fille d'Enoch Smith (1750-1825), et leurs enfants comprenaient les suivants : (1) Franklin Ferguson, né en 1827 (2) George Ferguson, né en 1830 (3) Christopher Ferguson, né en 1833 (4) Ellen Ferguson, née en 1835. Enoch Smith, dans son testament, homologué May Court, 1825, a nommé sa fille Susanna Ferguson et Frances Ferguson. William Ferguson était le fils de Thomas et Priscilla (Ford) Ferguson. Il avait un frère, Josiah Ferguson, et une sœur Susanna Ferguson, qui épousa Israel Wright. (Note ajoutée par Bettie Cline McCaleb - Le mari de Priscilla Ford était Josiah Ferguson. Cela est indiqué dans le testament de son père, Thomas Ford. De plus, lorsque Josiah Ferguson est décédé, le règlement de sa succession l'appelle Josiah. Elle a également une copie d'une lettre écrite par son grand-oncle le Dr Josiah Ferguson Jones dans lequel il parle de ses grands-parents comme Josiah et Priscilla Ferguson. Peut-être que Josiah s'appelait Thomas Josiah mais elle n'a rien trouvé pour le prouver. Dans Fairfax Co. Va. John Ferguson mentionne les fils John, Joshua et Josias mais pas de Thomas.)

WILLIAMS -- Samuel Williams était à la tête d'une famille composée de cinq hommes et de trois femmes. Il y avait 18 autres familles nommées Williams répertoriées dans le recensement de 1810 du comté de Montgomery. Aucune autre information disponible sur Samuel Williams.

DEVOIRS -- La famille Owings s'est installée tôt dans les comtés de Montgomery et de Bath, mais aucune autre trace de Richard Owings n'est disponible à l'heure actuelle.

FERGUSON -- William Ferguson (1786 - 1869), fils de Josiah et Frances (Smith) Ferguson épousa Susanna Smith (1789 - 1878). En 1810, William Ferguson était chef d'une famille composée de 6 hommes et 1 femme.

CHILES -- William Chiles était ingénieur civil. Il possédait des terres considérables, s'était marié trois fois et avait élevé une grande famille d'enfants. Son fils, Co. Walter Chiles, est né dans le comté de Montgomery est décédé à Frankfort, Ky. diplômé du Transylvania College est devenu un éminent avocat marié (1) Eliza Price pas d'enfants mariés (2) Caroline Stith, et avait des descendants : Mary A., Landon C.

Beaucoup de personnes vivant maintenant se souviennent surtout de son grand intérêt pour les affaires de l'école publique, Landon T. Chiles pendant de nombreuses années un marchand de Mt. Sterling, il épousa Mary Mitchell, et leurs enfants étaient Carrie, épousa le Dr Howard Van Antwerp Richard A., avocat de Mt. Sterling Annie, a épousé LT Young.

COFFRE -- Henry Cofer, "famille" d'une personne (groupe d'âge de 26 à 45 ans). On suppose donc qu'il était célibataire ou du moins sans famille à cette époque. Il y avait des Cofers dans les premiers comtés de Montgomery et de Bath.

DURRETT -- Paul Durrett était probablement célibataire en 1810, car il est répertorié dans le livre de recensement comme "chef de famille" d'une personne (homme, groupe d'âge de 26 à 45 ans). Parmi les mariages célébrés par le révérend John "Raccoon" Smith dans le comté de Montgomery, il y a celui de Paul Durrett et de Gabriella L. Banks, le 1er juin 1820. L'hon. Wallace Gruelle, dans son discours historique à Mt. Sterling, 1872, raconte des anecdotes concernant Paul Durrett, qui, dit-il, "gardait une plaie.

HENLEY -- Osburn Henley (Hensley ?) était à la tête d'une famille nombreuse (11 hommes et 3 femmes) mais aucun autre dossier n'est disponible concernant cet homme.

MOULINS - Le Dr John Augustus Mills (né dans le Maryland vers 1780, décédé à Fulton, comté de Callaway, Missouri), s'est installé dans le comté de Montgomery à l'époque des pionniers et a été l'un des trois premiers médecins du mont Sterling. Ensuite, il a déménagé à Winchester, comté de Clark, Kentucky, où il a atteint la notoriété. On nous a dit qu'une peinture à l'huile du célèbre médecin est accrochée au palais de justice du comté de Clark. L'épouse du Dr Mill s'appelait Lucy (nom de jeune fille inconnu), originaire de Virginie, leur famille en 1810 comprenait quatre enfants, mais les noms de deux seulement nous sont parvenus : (I) John Mills, né dans le Kentucky ca. 1929 aucun autre document. (II) Emily Mills, a épousé Irvine Hockaday et a déménagé à Fulton, dans le Missouri, dans les premiers temps. Ils ont eu huit enfants dont l'aînée, Lucy Hockaday, a épousé Solomom Van Meter. Irvine Hockaday était le premier greffier de ce comté de Callaway, Missouri. Un descendant du Dr Mills nous dit que ". lorsque le Dr Mills et sa femme sont devenus vieux, notre grand-mère, Emily Hockaday, est allée à Winchester et les a ramenés à Fulton, Mo. vécu jusqu'à leur mort. Ils sont enterrés dans le lot familial à Fulton.

BIGGS -- Andrew Biggs était le chef d'une famille nombreuse en 1810 - 15 hommes et 4 femmes, soit un total de 19 personnes. Cependant, comme il était hôtelier, il est supposé que les personnes répertoriées comprenaient des clients de son établissement ainsi que des membres de sa famille immédiate. Dans son discours historique prononcé à Mt. Sterling, le 4 juillet 1872, le juge Wallace Gruelle a déclaré : « La première taverne de la place (Mt. Sterling) a été érigée au coin maintenant occupé par le magasin de produits secs de Johnson & Thompson. Joseph Simpson était le constructeur et boniface (sic). Andrew Biggs a ensuite ouvert une taverne où se trouve maintenant l'hôtel Kentucky. " Andrew Biggs était probablement l'un des premiers colons du comté de Montgomery, car son nom apparaît sur la liste des impôts de 1797.

MERCKLEY -- Frederick Merekley est répertorié en 1810 comme chef d'une famille de 6 hommes et 1 femme. Il ne figure pas sur le recensement de 1820 du mont Sterling. Aucun autre enregistrement.

EVERITT -- Richmond Everitt, chef d'une famille de 6 personnes en 1810, était sans aucun doute de la même famille que Samuel D. Everitt répertorié dans Mt. Sterling., 1820. "Historical Sketches" de Reid : ". Dans une maison attenante à l'ouest de la taverne de Simpson, Samuel et Peter Everitt ont commencé leur brillante carrière en tant que marchands."

MARIÉS -- Moses Grooms, chef d'une famille de 6 personnes en 1810, est également répertorié dans le recensement de 1820 de Mt. Sterling. Aucun autre enregistrement disponible.

KELSOE -- Hugh Kelso est venu au Kentucky du comté de Bath, Virginie, son frère, John Kelsoe, s'est également installé dans le comté de Montgomery, Kentucky. Ils étaient les fils de James et Elizabeth (Sitlington) Kelso du comté de Bath, Virginie, qui avaient également des filles, Mary (Polly) Kelso et Elizabeth (Betsy) Kelso. Betsy Kelso était l'épouse de Thomas Hughart du comté de Bath, Virginie, qui a migré vers le Kentucky, s'installant dans le comté de Bath, Kentucky.. (Les familles Kelso et Hughart font partie des premières familles qui ont quitté le comté de Bath, en Virginie, et se sont installés dans le comté du même nom au Kentucky. Il n'y a que deux comtés dans tout le pays nommé Bath - un en Virginie et un dans le Kentucky.

MCILVAIN -- La famille d'Archibald McIlvain comprenait 4 mâles, tous les adultes adjacents étaient James McIlvain, avec une famille de 2 mâles et 3 femelles. Les membres de la famille McIlvain se sont mariés avec Banks, McBee (Mockbee) et d'autres premières familles du comté de Montgomery.

FEMME -- Samuel Feamster (Feimster) de Mt. Sterling, 1810, était un descendant d'une famille écossaise qui s'est installée tôt dans la section du comté de Bath-Highland, en Virginie.

HODGES -- La famille de William Hodges, Mt. Sterling, 1810, comprenait deux adultes et trois enfants. Aucune trace disponible du nom de sa femme ou des enfants. La comptabilité du vérificateur des « lotts de ville » à Mt. Sterling, 1797, indiquait William Hoges (Hodges) comme propriétaire d'un « lott ». Le croquis historique de Gruelle du comté de Montgomery déclare : « Un homme du nom de Hodge a érigé le premier moulin à farine à l'arrière de la propriété jouxtant l'église méthodiste, qui appartient maintenant au Dr Ashby. Il l'a fait fonctionner à l'aide de chevaux. L'homme qui a érigé le premier moulin à farine était peut-être le William Hodges de Mt. Sterling cependant, il y avait d'autres du même nom vivant dans le comté de Montgomery, ou y possédant une propriété, car le livre de l'auditeur de 1797 répertorie John Hodges, Andrew Hodge, ainsi comme William Hodges.

Thomson -- Hugh D. Thomson, chef d'une famille composée de deux adultes, était probablement de la même famille que David Anderson Thompson, Jr., qui est venu de Virginie au Kentucky au début et s'est installé près du mont Sterling.

RINGO -- Henry Ringgold (Ringo), vivant à Mt. Sterling en août 1810, appartenait sans aucun doute à la famille de Henry Ringo (1724-1802), qui avec ses sept fils et filles est venu du New Jersey en passant par la Virginie à Montgomery comté, Kentucky, à ses débuts.

RIGIDE -- Daniel Stiff, vivant à Mt. Sterling, 1810, avec une famille de deux adultes et Joseph Stiff, chef d'une famille de deux adultes et cinq enfants, vivant dans le comté de Montgomery, Kentucky, 1810, étaient probablement des proches parents. Cependant, aucune information n'est disponible quant à leur origine, bien qu'il y ait eu une famille de ce nom dans le comté de Middlesex, en Virginie, en 1710. La famille est originaire de la vieille Angleterre, où elle était assise dans le Wiltshire dès le XIIIe siècle. Le nom de famille Stiff est dérivé du surnom "The Stiff", ce qui signifie rigide de caractère ou obstiné de caractère. Une autorité sur l'origine des noms de famille déclare que « la voyelle était autrefois longue », c'est-à-dire prononcée comme Stife, comme dans le mot Strife.

CHEATHAM -- En 1810, David Cheatham, James Cheatham et John Cheatham vivaient dans le comté, et Leonard Cheatham dans la ville de Mt. Sterling. Le dénombrement fédéral montre Leonard Cheatham chef d'une famille de 2 adultes et 6 enfants. (L'un des officiers de la milice du comté de Montgomery, créée par le gouverneur en 1798, était l'enseigne Lewis Cheatham.)

FORBUSH -- En 1776, James Forbush a été l'un des premiers colons à Bryant's Station (dans le comté de Fayette), il a ensuite déménagé dans le comté de Broubon. Gracy Forbush, chef d'une famille vivant à Mt. Sterling, 1810, composée d'un adulte (femme) et de deux enfants, était peut-être la veuve d'un descendant de ce James Forbush, arrivé dans le comté de Montgomery avant 1810.

SIMPSON -- Joseph Simpson était à la tête d'une famille de 2 adultes et 11 enfants dans le dénombrement de 1810 du mont Sterling. (L'un des officiers du régiment de milice du comté de Montgomery, créé par le gouverneur en 1798, était le lieutenant Joseph Simpson. Il s'agit sans aucun doute du Joseph Simpson mentionné par Reid : « La première taverne (à Mt. Sterling) a été construite sur le coin maintenant occupé par le magasin de marchandises sèches de Wells et Thompson. C'était un bâtiment en rondins taillés, avec un immense porche à l'ancienne sur toute sa longueur. Joseph Simpson était le constructeur et le propriétaire. ).

L'ÉPURGEON (Spurgin) -- Parmi les noms de "visiteurs et localisateurs" mentionnés par Reid en racontant l'histoire des pionniers du comté de Montgomery figurait Samuel Spurgeon (1779), qui "s'est installé près du mont Sterling avec sa famille en 1792". Samuel Spurgeon vivant à Mt. Sterling en 1810, chef d'une famille de 2 adultes et 5 enfants.

VIRT (Vert) -- Jacob Virt était l'un des premiers colons du Kentucky, son nom apparaissant dans les registres du comté de Bourbon dès 1790. Il a ensuite déménagé dans le comté de Montgomery, où il est décédé son testament, homologué à la cour de mai, 1826, nomme sa femme , Keziah Virt, et les enfants suivants : (1) Adam Virt (2) Sibber Virt (mariée - Pleak) (3) Polly Virt (mariée - Pleak) (4) Betsy Virt (mariée - Wilson) (5) Jacob Virt ( 6) Rebecca Virt (mariée - Sutton) (7) Sally Virt (8) Nathaniel Virt (9) John Virt (10) Keziah Virt (11) Reason Virt (12) William Virt (13) Daniel Virt.

INGRAM (Ingrim) -- Thomas Ingrim ou Ingram a vécu dans le comté de Montgomery en 1810, alors qu'il était chef d'une famille de 4 personnes. Un Uriah Ingrim possédait une propriété dans le comté de Montgomery, en 1797, et était probablement de la même lignée familiale. Cette famille apparaît dans les archives ultérieures des comtés de Bath et de Morgan, dans le Kentucky, et a peut-être vécu dans cette partie du début de Montgomery qui a ensuite été coupée pour former Bath et Morgan.

KINCAID (Kinkaid) -- Au moment des guerres coloniales, cette famille était assez nombreuse dans le sud-ouest de la Virginie (Augusta, et les comtés qui en étaient coupés, dont Greenbrier, Bath, etc.). L'histoire des pionniers du Kentucky enregistre beaucoup de ce nom. David Kincaid et John Kincaid ont été les premiers propriétaires fonciers du comté de Montgomery (liste d'imposition 1797). Le recensement de 1810 de ce comté répertorie un certain nombre de familles nommées Kincaid, notamment : Archibald Kincaid, John Kincaid, Andrew Kincaid, Andrew Kincaid, Jr., Thomas Kincaid, George Kincaid et David Kincaid. Ils semblent tous avoir vécu dans ce qui est devenu le comté de Bath, en 1811. Les mariages célébrés par le révérend Joseph Price Howe, premier pasteur de l'église presbytérienne de Springfield, comté de Bath, Kentucky, comprennent ceux de : Thomas Kincaid et Mary Bracken, le 13 mars, 1800 John Caldwell et Mary Kincaid le 13 mars 1800, et James Johnston et Ann Kincaid le 10 septembre 1810.

MAGOWAN -- James S. Magowan, cité comme chef de famille de 2 adultes et 5 enfants. James Strode Magowan est né en Virginie, en 1774, fils de James Magowan du comté de Berleley, en Virginie, situé près du mont Sterling. Il était un grand propriétaire terrien. Le juge Gruelle, dans son esquisse historique du mont Sterling, a déclaré qu'« en 1809, James Magowan a commencé une tanyard sur le terrain sur lequel le dépôt de chemin de fer est en cours d'érection ». James S. Magowan a été représentant du comté de Montgomery, avec William Hodges, 1808. James Strode Magowan est décédé vers 1852. Son fils, James P. Magowan (né en 1801 est décédé en 1858), marié, 1827, Eliza Jane Banks (elle est née en ce qui est maintenant le comté de Bath, le 16 mai 1806 décédée en 1871, fille de Cuthbert et Elizabeth MeIlvaine Banks. Enfants : (1) Anna Eliza (2) James Asa (3) John Trabue (4) William Cuthbert. John Trabue Magowan, fils de James T. et Eliza (Banks) Magowan, née en 1834 décédée en 1909, il est né, a vécu et est décédé dans le comté de Montgomery. En 1872, il a épousé Emily G. Gatewood. Enfants : (1) James R. (2) Mary .

HEIGHTON -- Le dénombrement fédéral de 1810 montre Josiah Heighton répertorié avec un homme adulte, groupe d'âge de 45 ans et plus dans la famille. Par conséquent, on suppose qu'il était un homme âgé sans famille, vivant seul. Aucune autre information n'est disponible. (Il y avait un John Heaton, un nom similaire dans la liste fiscale de 1797 du comté de Montgomery.)

McFERRIN -- John McFerrin était à la tête d'une famille de 2 adultes et 5 enfants, vivant à Mt. Sterling, 1810. Aucune information actuellement disponible quant aux noms de la femme et des enfants de John McFerrin cependant parmi les mariages célébrés par le révérend John Smith, dans le comté de Montgomery étaient les suivants : Jonathan McFerrin et Rebecca Harper, 13 octobre 1818 Dillingham Ward et Susan McFerrin, 26 novembre 1818 et Aaron McFerrin et Elizabeth Montgomery, 13 avril 1830. La famille de McFerrin est une ancienne de Virginia et un membre de la famille viennent du comté de York, en Virginie, dans le comté de Lincoln, dans le Kentucky, à l'époque des pionniers. John McFerrin de Mt. Sterling était probablement de la même famille.

PLUME -- Andrew Featherchy était à la tête d'une famille composée de 2 adultes et 8 enfants, vivant à Mt. Sterling 1810. (pas d'autres informations)

BLANCHE - Robert Whitledge était membre du premier groupe d'explorateurs au printemps 1775, mais de toute évidence, il ne s'est pas installé dans le comté de Montgomery. Le nom de Robert Whitledge se trouve sur une pétition adressée à l'Assemblée de Virginie par « divers habitants du comté de Bourbon », datée du 27 octobre 1788. Les pétitionnaires sont décrits comme « habitant près du palais de justice et sur le ruisseau Licking. » Par conséquent, nous concluons que Robert Whitledge situé près de la ville de Hopewell (aujourd'hui Paris, comté de Bourbon). Au début du comté de Bourbon se trouvaient également Thomas Whitledge et John Whitledge, frères et Robert Whitledge étaient probablement de la même famille.

JUDY - John Judy et d'autres "sortirent de Virginie en 1779 et composèrent la petite colonie de Blancs qui s'installa en premier dans le comté de Montgomery". La famille de Judy (Tshudi) est venue de Suisse en Amérique au début, s'installant d'abord en Pennsylvanie, puis les membres ont été transférés en Virginie et au Kentucky.

THOMAS - Moses Thomas est nommé en tant que membre de la petite colonie qui "a d'abord colonisé le comté de Montgomery". Un Benjamin Thomas est mentionné dans les premiers registres du comté de Montgomery : le 7 novembre 1803, Weathers Smith du comté de Bourbon a donné procuration à Benjamin Thomas de Montgomery, « pour diviser les terres détenues par moi et mon frère George Smith ». Benjamin Thomas mourut « vers février 1813, laissant un testament concevant des terres à Benjamin Franklin Thomas et Washington Thomas, mineurs, dont James French était le tuteur.

SADE - William Sade, un autre de ceux qui " est sorti de Virginie en 1779 ", n'a peut-être trouvé aucun autre document trouvé ailleurs dans le comté de Montgomery.

BLANCHE - Benjamin White est nommé parmi les premiers "visiteurs et localisateurs". Il était peut-être un "visiteur" plutôt qu'un "localisateur" car aucune autre information n'est trouvée à son sujet. L'un des premiers colons du comté de Montgomery était Aquilla White (note manuscrite : A. W. Rev. Soldier), qui est venu au Kentucky en 1779, et s'est d'abord installé à Boonesborough, puis a déménagé dans le comté de Montgomery. Il a participé à la Révolution américaine au cours de laquelle il a servi en tant que capitaine de la Pennsylvania Line. Il est sur la liste des pensions de 1835, résident du comté de Montgomery, l'âge étant de 89 ans.

ANDERSON - Nicholas Anderson était l'un des premiers "visiteurs et localisateurs" du comté de Montgomery. Le testament de non-cupération d'un certain Nicholas Anderson a été prouvé par le serment de David Bradshaw à la Cour de décembre 1823, comté de Montgomery. Sa femme, Rachel et ses enfants sont mentionnés (mais les noms des enfants ne sont pas donnés). les données ne sont pas disponibles pour identifier ces personnes et dresser un croquis généalogique.

POAGE - Un autre des premiers "visiteurs et localisateurs" était James Poage. Le 17 décembre 1796, le gouverneur James Garrard a délivré des commissions aux juges de la première cour des sessions trimestrielles pour le comté de Montgomery nouvellement créé, l'un des juges s'appelait James Poage. Au début de l'année 1798, le gouverneur licencie un régiment de milice pour le nouveau comté de Montgomery. Il nomma le lieutenant-colonel et commandant James Poage. Les listes fiscales du comté de Montgomery, 1797, montrent que James Poage était propriétaire de 1106 acres de terre. Aucun document généalogique trouvé.

SPURGIN - Samuel Spurgin, parmi les premiers visiteurs et localisateurs, aucun autre enregistrement. (Note rédigée : acte de vente - succession - 1838)

TURLEY - James Turley est venu du comté de Culpeper, en Virginie, près de Mt. Sterling, dans le Kentucky, avant la création du comté de Montgomery. Les premières listes d'impôts du nouveau comté, 1797, portent les noms de James Turley et Loenard Turley. Le recensement américain de 1810 répertorie le nom de Leonard Turley comme chef d'une famille composée de 5 hommes et 3 femmes, cependant, aucune trace de James Turley à cette époque, il est donc supposé qu'il était décédé ou avait déménagé ailleurs. (Il y avait un James Turley né vers 1762, un soldat révolutionnaire vivant dans le comté de Sangamon, Illinois, en 1835, quand il a été inscrit comme retraité, âge donné comme 72). D'autres Turley trouvés dans les premiers registres du comté de Montgomery sont sans aucun doute les descendants des pionniers, cependant, nous avons un dossier précis d'un seul enfant de James Turley, juge de paix. Il était Thomas J. Turley, né dans le comté de Montgomery, qui en 1830 a déménagé dans le comté de Gallatin, Kentucky. Il a épousé Artie Lillard, une fille du révérend David Lillard, un des premiers ministres baptistes du Kentucky. Leonard Turley semble avoir vécu dans cette partie de Montgomery qui devint plus tard le comté de Bath.

ROBINSON - Il semble qu'il y ait eu plus d'une branche de la famille Robinson à l'époque des pionniers du comté de Montgomery. Au stade actuel de notre enquête, il est impossible d'identifier et d'organiser les enregistrements disponibles de ceux du nom au début du comté de Montgomery.

HUGHES - David Hughes, l'un des premiers juges de paix de Montgomery, était un grand propriétaire terrien du nouveau comté, comme en témoignent les listes d'impôts de 1797. Un certain James Hughes était également l'un des premiers propriétaires terriens. John Hughes était un membre fondateur de l'ancienne église presbytérienne de Springfield, dans le comté de Montgomery (plus tard Bath). (Rédigé dans la marge : John Hughes M. Polly Pattterson - 9 novembre 1809)

ROSENBOROUGH - William Rosenborough, juge de paix, comté de Montgomery, 1797, a peut-être déménagé ailleurs ou peut-être résidait-il dans une partie du comté qui fut bientôt coupée du comté de Montgomery. Aucun enregistrement.

HARDWICK - John Hardwick (ou Hardwicke), Sr., juge de paix, comté de Montgomery, Kentucky, est né en Virginie, vers 1714, il a quitté le comté de Bedford, Virginie pour le Kentucky peu après la Révolution américaine, et son nom figure parmi les dossiers du comté de Fayette, Kentucky, en 1790. Les listes d'impôts de 1797, comté de Montgomery, indiquent les noms de John Hardwick, Senr. John Hardwick, Junr. George Hardwick, Sr., marié 1er, une Miss Venable 2nd, Dorcas Bush de Virginie.

COLVIN - Le gouverneur James Gerrard le 17 décembre 1796, a délivré des commissions aux hommes nommés juges de paix pour le nouveau comté de Montgomery (qui a été créé par une loi de la législature du Kentucky approuvée le 14 décembre 1796, pour prendre effet le 1er mars 1797 ). Parmi ceux nommés juges de paix se trouvait un certain Joseph Colvin.

Ce Joseph Colvin a peut-être vécu dans une partie du comté de Montgomery qui a ensuite été retranché pour former d'autres comtés, ou bien il a été déplacé ailleurs. (Il y avait un Joseph Colvin qui s'est installé tôt dans le comté de Lincoln, Kentucky). Pendant quelques années, il semble y avoir eu des efforts considérables de la part des descendants pour compléter l'histoire de la famille Colvin et un certain nombre d'enquêtes ont paru dans des publications et ont été soumises à partir de divers endroits, cherchant des données sur les premiers colons du nom Colvin en Virginie et Kentucky. Une enquête imprimée dans un journal historique demandait des informations sur l'un des Joseph Colvin, qui serait lié aux familles d'Anderson, Trimble Allen, qui est venu du comté d'Augusta, en Virginie, au Kentucky à l'époque des pionniers et s'est installé dans le Kentucky, y compris le comté de Fayette.

Dans l'espoir d'être d'une petite aide à quiconque cherche des informations sur l'histoire des débuts de la famille Colvin, les notes suivantes, recueillies par l'écrivain sur une période d'une douzaine d'années sont données :

On dit que la famille Colvin est venue d'Angleterre en Amérique vers 1744. Cette tradition familiale semble s'inscrire dans l'article suivant, tiré de Foote's History of Virginia : Vers l'année 1735, William Hoge quitta la Pennsylvanie et s'installa sur l'Opeckon, trois miles au sud de Winchester, Virginie.. Opeckon Meeting House se dresse sur cette parcelle de terrain. Les familles de Vance, Allen, Colvin, White . et d'autres le rejoignirent et formèrent la Congrégation Opeckon, la plus ancienne à l'ouest de Blue Ridge. (La famille Vance était une première famille de la foi presbytérienne dans le comté de Frederick, en Virginie).

Dans l'histoire de Frederick Morton de Winchester, Virginie, dans l'écrivain [sic], il y a une copie d'un document ancien concernant l'aménagement des lots pour la ville de Winchester. Parmi les noms mentionnés figurent Marquis Calmes, Andrew Campbell, Margan Morgan, John White et David Vance - tous des noms représentés parmi les premières familles du Kentucky. La date est le 21 mars 1744 (New Style Calendar).

D'un autre cours, nous apprenons qu'Andrew Vance, qui est venu d'Irlande en Amérique vers 1700, et s'est installé à Opeckon Creek, dans le comté de Frederick, en Virginie, en 1735, a épousé Elizabeth Colvin.

Bien avant la guerre de la Révolution, des membres de la famille Colvin se sont installés dans le comté de Culpepper, en Virginie.

Jospeh Colvin, fils de Charles Colvin, est né dans le comté de Culpepper, en Virginie, en 1778, et est venu avec ses parents dans le Kentucky. Il a épousé Nancy Turner, fille de Stephen et Mary Turner. Leur fils, Armistead Colvin, est né près de Lancaster, Ky., le 23 avril 1807, et est décédé dans l'Indiana, 1872 il a épousé dans le comté de Garrard, Kentucky, le 4 avril 1809, Leannah Wilson, fille de William et Nancy (Banks) Wilson .

Le comté de Montgomery a été formé à partir d'une partie du comté de Clark en vertu d'une loi de la législature du Kentucky approuvée le 14 décembre 1796, pour entrer en vigueur le 1er mars 1797. Le 8 février 1798, le gouverneur a mis à pied un nouveau régiment de milice, étant le trente et unième, pour être inclus dans le comté de Montgomery et nommé James Poage, lieutenant-colonel commandant, et Andrew Swearingen, major du premier bataillon, et Samuel Downing, major du deuxième bataillon. (D'autres officiers commissionnés pour ce régiment de milice ont également été nommés). (Des archives du Kentucky.)

POAGE - James Poage est nommé parmi les premiers explorateurs de ce qui est maintenant le comté de Montgomery, il se serait installé près du mont Sterling en 1792, il a été nommé juge de la Cour des sessions trimestrielles pour le nouveau comté de Montgomery. listes d'impôts, 1797, en tant que grand propriétaire terrien et il fut nommé commandant du premier régiment de milice pour le comté de Montgomery. Malheureusement, aucun autre document n'est disponible sur James Poage dans ce comté, cependant, certaines notes sur la famille du Kentucky et de la Virginie peuvent être intéressantes : un William Poage a vécu à Harrodsburg de 1776 à 1778, il était un homme ingénieux et a fabriqué tous les seaux. , seaux à lait, baquets et caboches utilisés par les habitants du Fort. Sa veuve épousa Joseph Lindsey en 1781 et plusieurs années plus tard, elle épousa James McGinty. (Histoire de Collins du Kentucky). En 1739, deux frères, John et Robert Poage, sont arrivés en Amérique en atterrissant à Philadelphie, puis en Virginie. Robert Poage a épousé les enfants d'Elizabeth Preston : Margaret, John, Martha, Sarah, George, Mary, William, Elizabeth, Robert, Thomas. Robert Poage était l'un des premiers anciens de l'église Old Stone, dans le comté d'Augusta, en Virginie. John Poage, fils de Robert, Sr. a épousé les enfants de Jean Somers : John, Grace, Martha, Robert, William, Anne, James, Jonathan, Thomas et Rebecca. Parmi les officiers de la milice de Virginie du comté d'Augusta pendant la guerre d'indépendance se trouvaient James Poage, le lieutenant John Poage, enseigne et George Poage, capitaine.

Il y avait aussi une famille de couleur de « Free Tom » qui vivait à Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, au moment du recensement fédéral de 1810.

Copyright &copier les sentiers de généalogie
Toutes les données de ce site Web sont protégées par le droit d'auteur de Genealogy Trails
avec tous les droits réservés aux auteurs originaux.


George Hardwick

Si George Hardwick était la personne que vous recherchiez, vous pourrez peut-être en découvrir plus à son sujet en consultant notre page de ressources.

Si vous avez d'autres recherches à faire, essayez une nouvelle recherche ou parcourez les dossiers des condamnés.

Know more about George Hardwick?

Community Contributions

Fiona Irwin on 15th July, 2020 wrote:

George Hardwick was born in 1810 to parents John and his wife Ann. George grew up in Ashbocking, a small town in the Parish of Ipswich, in the rural County of Suffolk in England. George was one of five surviving children with three siblings having died during their childhood: John born in 1804 died in 1811 Martin born in 1807 died in 1818 and Maria born in 1812 died in 1825.
In 1838, when George came in contact with the law for the first time for the offence of stealing fowls, he was already married to Amy with a daughter Cecilia and had another child on the way. Their son, George William Hardwick, was born in the second half of 1838. In 1840 when George was apprehended for the second time, he had a further child on the way and Miriam was born in 1840.
For his second offence George was sentenced for 7 years transportation for stealing lead from a Church Yard, and he was held at the gaol at Ipswich from 4 July to 14 July 1840 before being transferred to the prison hulk Warrior which was moored off Woolwich and at Chatham on the Thames.
After spending just over 20 months on board the Warrior, George who was found to be in good health was gathered up in leg irons with 279 convicts and transported to Van Diemen’s Land on the Eden which departed Woolwich on 12 March in 1842. For a male convict born in 1810, George’s height measured in 1842 of 70.5 inches was approximately 4.5 inches above the average height of convict men who had grown up in the rural areas of Great Britain. When George was transported on the Eden he was leaving behind his wife Amy and Cecilia, his seven year-old-daughter.
The Eden was under the command of Lieutenant Gordon, 29 rank and file of the 99th regiment with the ship’s crew and also four women and three children were on board. Eden’s surgeon, Mr Alexander Neill, indicated in the general remarks section of his daily sick book journal that the general appearance of the convicts was favourable, however, several had been affected by confinement and diet in the hulks and two were returned.
By 8 June Neill had written in the journal that serious health problems had arisen during the voyage when they encountered a huge storm off the Island of Amsterdam. During the storm the Eden was damaged, tarpaulins had washed off the hatchways and forty convicts in the prison and their bedding had been drenched by seawater. A week later Neill had noted the air in the prison and in the hospital had become ‘truly oppressive’. He continued to add in his journal the weather remained stormy from 8 June until the day of arrival in Van Diemen’s Land.
Fortunately, George Hardwick’s name did not appear in the journal but many of his fellow transportees were struck down by injury or ill health. The life-threatening diseases on Eden’s voyage were related to scurvy and consumption, an old term for what we now know is tuberculosis and Neill also noted one of the convict’s underlying health condition of syphilis had greatly reduced his capacity to overcome scurvy.
According to the journal, 20 percent of the convicts required medical treatment for illness or injury. In total Neill treated fifteen soldiers, four sailors, one of the children (a boy) and fifty-five convicts. Convicts Jonathan Brown aged 49 and John Kaye aged 55 had chronic illnesses diagnosed and had been hospitalised prior to the voyage and they made up two of the four deaths attributed to the later stages of scurvy (scorbutic dysentery). Given their age and their previous health problems it is surprising that Kaye and Brown had been selected fit for travel. The fifth convict death was due to tuberculosis.
After 105 days the Eden arrived in Van Diemen’s Land on 5 July 1842, and George was sent on 13 July to the Salt Water Creek Probation Station for a twelve-month period during which time his health remained good as was his conduct. Before he received his ticket of leave on 17 January 1846 he worked as a labourer in Brighton and in Glenorchy. By 1849 when he had received his freedom, George had settled in the Derwent Valley and he continued his trade of bootmaker.
Though George’s wife and daughter did not join him, he went on to cohabitate and have four children with Elizabeth Purdon until 1854 when Elizabeth died in childbirth. He then married Mary Cary in Richmond in 1855 and went on to have 6 more children. Of the ten children born, only one died in infancy.
George, however, did have a further brush with the law and in 1853 a charge of larceny that was brought against him was said to have been ‘ignored’. Perhaps George’s prosperity was underpinned by his good health, farming and labouring knowledge and skills that were in demand, he had settled in Brighton in the Derwent Valley, an area known for its fertile soils, and was able to successfully farm the land whilst still plying his trade as a bootmaker. And after his brush with the law in 1853 he was able stay on the right side of the law. George was able to live on until an old age and he died on 9 October 1889 in Brighton in his 79th year.
Many thanks to the Hardwick family for lending me their family history resources.

Convict Changes History

Fiona Irwin on 15th July, 2020 made the following changes:

date of birth: 1810 (prev. 0000), date of death: 9th October, 1889 (prev. 0000), occupation, crime


The southernmost part of the town of Hardwick along the Ware River featured a covered bridge, corn mill, saw mill, coal house, forge, and a scattering of residences by 1772. 1 A new furnace was erected by 1815 under the management of Col. Thomas Wheeler and Lemuel Harrington at which point the area became known as New Furnace. For a brief period between 1832 and the 1840s, a paper mill was located along the river.

Seeking to expand his woolen manufacturing lines in Ware, industrialist George Gilbert of the George Gilbert Manufacturing Company purchased land along the Ware River in the late 1850s. 1

Gilbert moved to Ware in 1841 and in partnership with Charles A. Stevens, purchased the former Hampshire Manufacturing Company. 1 It produced bread cloths, and later flannels. The company added a stone mill in 1846 which specialized in white and opera flannels. After the partnership dissolved in 1851, Gilbert’s nephew, Lewis N. Gilbert, joined him and was made a full partner in the George H. Gilbert & Company in 1857. In 1867, the company became known as the George H. Gilbert Manufacturing Company.

With demand outpacing supply, Gilbert sought ample land to expand. The first mill in New Furnace, Mill No. 1, was constructed in 1860 and was producing worsteds and flannels by 1862. 1 Mill No. 2 was added in 1863, followed by Mill No. 3 in 1864 and Mill No. 4 in 1867. A major addition was made to Mill No. 1 in 1883.

The mills were originally powered by the force of a canal via the Ware River, which was augmented by a coal-fired power plant in 1912. 1

By the early 20th century, the wool industry began to move to the South, and companies that remained did not invest in technological improvements to their production lines. The Gilbert Manufacturing Company mills operated at far less than capacity and Mill No. 3 was torn down in 1916.

Vested through powers granted from a legislative act in 1926, the Metropolitan Water Supply Commission began diverting floodwaters from the Ware River at Coldbrook in March 1931 to serve as a water supply for the city of Worcester. 4 The damming of the river lessened both the quantity and quality of the water to the point that it was no longer suitable for washing and treating the woolen cloth it manufactured nor was there enough water power to support the mills. The trial, the longest ever in the Hampshire County courts at 28 days, resulted in a favorable judgment for the company in January 1934, whereas it was awarded $305,708 in damages—but by that point, the company and its assets had been sold to a group of outside investors for $119,000. 1 It continued to operate at low levels of production before the facilities were severely damaged by a hurricane in 1938.

After the hurricane, the Sugarman Company of Coatesville, Pennsylvania was retained to liquidate the company holdings, a process that continued into the 1940s. 1 Mill No. 2 was dismantled and sold for salvage in the late 1940s while others were largely vacated. During the 1950s, Mill No. 1 was used by the William Carter Company to produce women’s and children’s clothing, complimenting its other mills in Springfield, Barnesville and Forsythe, Georgia and Senatobia, Mississippi. 2 3 Mill No. 4 was acquired by the Salem family and used as the Gilbertville Storage Company. 5

Company Town

The Gilbert Manufacturing Company constructed a small company-owned village that consisted of: 1

  • The c. 1863 Gilbertville Hall, a three-story mansard-roofed structure with a hall on the upper floors and a retail store on the lower level
  • The c. 1912 Gilbertville Public Library funded by Col. Edward H. Gilbert and designed in the Classical Revival style
  • The c. 1883 Gilbertville Union Hall that included a skating rink
  • The c. 1874 St. Aloysius Church, a stone Gothic Revival style facility constructed at the cost of $50,000, the result of a bequest of George Gilbert’s will in 1869 and augmented by substantial family and company gifts. A chapel and parsonage were added c. 1884. Prior to the completion of the church, the congregation met in the Hall.
  • A c. 1870 store operated by the Hitchcock family with a boardinghouse above on south Main Street
  • A c. 1870 school at the corner of High and Highland Streets. It was replaced with an elementary school in 1903 and a high school in 1910, both designed by E.C. and G.C. Gardner. The high school was relocated from Hardwick Center.
  • A passenger depot, freight station, and warehouse along the Ware River Railroad, which later became the Central Massachusetts Railroad
  • A c. 1882 bandstand
  • Approximately 69 multi-family residences, 186 tenements, and nine single-family structures.

The village of Gilbertville was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.


Histoire

Hardwick Estate has a long and fascinating history including a role in the English civil war, and as one of the inspirations for Wind in the Willows.

At the time of the Battle of Hastings in 1066, Hardwick and its lands were owned by Wigod, the Saxon Lord of Wallingford. The Doomsday book records a dwelling on the current location of Hardwick House, whose cellars are believed to originate from this era.

1842 drawing of Hardwick House

In the thirteenth century, the house and grounds passed into the hands of a Norman French family called the de Hardwicks, and in 1527 the Estate was purchased by Richard Lybbe, a wealthy landowner with links to the royal family, who built the Elizabethan manor – Hardwick House. The family’s royal connection made them a target for Oliver Cromwell’s republican army during the civil war, and Hardwick was attacked and ransacked. Later, when King Charles I was imprisoned in Oxford he visited Hardwick to drink ale and play bowls on a green on the Estate.

Sir Charles Day Rose bought the Estate in 1909, having rented it since 1871 after the Lybbe Powys’s fell on hard times. He was a banker, sportsman and Liberal politician thought to be the inspiration for the character Mr Toad in Wind in the Willows, which was written by his banking contemporary Kenneth Grahame who lived in Pangbourne. As Liberal Member of Parliament for Newmarket and Cambridge he became a supporter of David Lloyd George’s ‘people’s budget’, advocating redistribution of land, and abolition of the House of Lords. The enormous wealth which he amassed via mining and railway investments in North America, India and Africa was spent on his passion for sports. At Hardwick he built a race horse breeding stud farm which turned out several Derby winners, and two Real Tennis courts, one of which is still an active club. He was also a pioneering motorist, yachtsman and aviator.

The Rose family continue to own and manage the Estate to this day. In the 1950s and 60s Sir Charles Rose placed emphasis on Hardwick’s forestry, and it became one of the first English woodlands to experiment with planting Thuja Plicata (Western Red Cedar), alongside high grade Beech for furniture making, winning several awards.

In 1975 the farmland was converted to organic status by Sir Julian Rose, the present Estate owner, and his mother Phoebe, and by 1983 Julian was running a thriving organic mixed family farm including a Guernsey dairy herd producing unpasteurised milk, as well as beef, woodland pigs, sheep, chickens, and arable. An award winning farm shop was established at Path Hill selling produce from the farm and its neighbours, and the raw milk, cream and bacon won national awards on a number of occasions. The now renowned horticulturalist Iain Tolhurst and his family took over the Estate’s historic market garden at the same time, producing high quality organic veg. Sadly, increasing government regulation, supermarket dominance, as well as the BSE and foot and mouth crises put the farm shop out of business, and Julian instead focused his energy on campaigning to save what he calls ‘Real Food’ and the family farms that produce it, from the forces of mechanisation and corporate agriculture.

The Old Dairy Farm Shop and farm events in the 1990s

There are several books and films with more information on Hardwick’s vivid history:

The Real Mr Toad: Merchant Venturer and Radical in the Age of Gold by Michael Redley is a mini biography of Sir Charles Day Rose documenting his role in shaking up Edwardian society, as well as the sadness and intrigue in his private life.

The booklet is available from the Bell Bookshop in Henley, Garlands in Pangbourne, and the Hardwick Estate Office for £7.

William Barefield Hutt, whose family lived and worked on the Estate from around 1900 until the 1970s, wrote a series of memoirs including Hardwick, which details his family’s experiences working for Sir Charles Day Rose as well as latterly. It can be purchased from the Whitchurch and Goring Heath History Society for £8.


George Hardwick history under the hammer

MAJOR Boro items of huge historic significance will come under the hammer next month.

MAJOR Boro items of huge historic significance will come under the hammer next month.

They come from Boro legend’s George Hardwick extensive and remarkable collection of rare and elusive artefacts.

The Hardwick material is going up for sale at the Mullock’s Ltd Football Auction at Ludlow Racecourse on July 7.

The remarkable collection includes the unique Great Britain shirt which George wore when he skippered the four nations in the 1947 match against the Rest of Europe to celebrate the return of peace to the continent.

The shirt has been on display at the Riverside Stadium for a few years.

The auction collection also includes nine of George’s international caps, plus an England blazer and an autographed 1950s England shirt.

Keith Hartwell from Mullock’s said: “We are delighted to be able to include George Hardwick’s collection in our football auction next month.

“The items available form the extensive part of all of George’s memorabilia. I am sure there will be a great deal of interest.”

Saltburn-born George, whose outstanding career is commemorated by a statue outside the Riverside, was a Boro player from 1937 to 1950.

He played 166 games for the club, most of them at left-back, though he lost seven years of his career because of the Second World War, when he served in the RAF.

He captained England in all 13 of his post-war international appearances, with the Great Britain captaincy being his greatest honour.

George went on to manage Oldham Athletic, coached in Germany and Holland, and later managed Sunderland, where he gave Brian Clough his first coaching role.

Hardwick was a regular attender at Boro home games until his death in 2004, at the age of 84.

Some of the extremely collectable items in the Mullock’s auction include junior medals which George was awarded when he was a teenager with South Bank East End.

The nine international caps include his first one, which came in a 7-2 victory against Northern Ireland in season 1946-47.

In addition to the shirt which George wore against the Rest of Europe, when he played at right-back, there is also an inscripted silver plaque from the match.

Another rare item is the winner’s medal which George received when he was player-manager of Oldham Athletic when they won the Division Three North Championship in 1953.

One of the last medals George received is also included in the auction.

It is the Football League 100 Legends gold medal which he was awarded in 1999, when the Football League celebrated the start of the 100th season of league football.

Mullock’s are based in Church Stretton in Shropshire. Further information is available from mullocksauctions.co.uk

Meanwhile, Boro forward Oliver Norris has died in Australia at the age of 82 after a long illness.

Derry-born Oliver came to Teesside as a 17-year-old in 1948 after being spotted playing for St Eugene&aposs Boys by Eddie Davis, who arranged for a trial with Boro.

Nicknamed “Narker”, he made his debut in a 2-0 win at Newcastle in 1952 and went on to make 13 appearances and score three goals before moving to Bournemouth in 1955.

Most of his eight seasons with Boro were spent in the reserves.

However he became one of the most talked about players in England in 1957 when he was part of the Bournemouth side that reached the FA Cup quarter-final, beating Danny Blanchlower’s Spurs and Billy Wright’s Wolves before losing 2-1 to Manchester United.

He later played for Northampton and Rochdale and managed Gloucester City before moving to Australia, where he worked as a coach for the Australian Soccer Federation.

After moving Down Under he continued to play and coach and he played a part in the early career of Mark Viduka, who went on to become a Boro and Socceroos legend.

BORO have reported that limited places are still available for the Father&aposs Day lunch at the Riverside on Sunday.

Prices are £25 for adults and £12.50 for children for a three-course lunch plus coffee and mints.

A tour of the stadium is included and there is a gift for each dad attending.


Coaching.

I specialise in sparking radical transformation in the lives of artists, athletes and entrepreneurs who find themselves at a crossroads in life. I work with flow states, initiation practices and deep enquiry so that you can bring forth the possibilities, synergies and clarity to shift lanes and begin the next chapter of your life.

Working with me, typically, is not a long-term commitment. It will usually only be 1 or 2 sessions that are be needed to really get things moving for you. However, if what emerges for you is the vision for a new brand or venture, you may wish to engage me further to help you find the right words to share your new purpose with the world. I never assume that I will be the right fit for you, or you for me, so before we work together we’ll have a free discovery call of up to 45mins to map the terrain and get clear on if/how we can serve each other.


George Hardwick - History

George Francis Moutry Hardwick, the son of an electrician and a schoolmistress, was born at Saltburn on February 2 1920 many of his forebears were Scottish smugglers. He weighed 12lb at birth.

His father was employed by Pease and Partners, and worked in an ironstone pit on the edge of the Yorkshire moors. When the pit closed he lost his job. "Everyone was unemployed," George remembered. "My mother and father went without food so that I would have enough to eat. I remember getting up with my father at 3am to go out in the fields gathering mushrooms. That was our meal for the day. My grandfather on my mother's side was an engine driver. He was still in work, and he and his associates used to collect old children's clothes, shoes, boots, anything, and pass it on to us. Mother tore apart old woollen jumpers to re-knit them as red and white jerseys and stockings for us to play football in."
Hardwick signed for Middlesbrough (for a 5 fee) in April 1937, scoring an own goal on his debut. The outbreak of war saw him join the RAF while training as an air gunner, he was nearly killed during a Luftwaffe attack on his base in Bedfordshire. He then became a sergeant in RAF Bomber Command.
During the war he turned out for Chelsea, appearing in two wartime Wembley cup finals he also played 17 wartime internationals for England, games which did not earn a full cap and were intended as morale-boosting exercises. Once, playing for Chelsea against Fulham, the sirens were sounded in the middle of the match all the players threw themselves flat on the ground: "The Germans bombed the other side of the river, and the referee blew his whistle to carry on." After the war, Chelsea wanted to sign Hardwick from Middlesbrough the Chelsea chairman travelled to Teesside, placed a blank cheque in front of his opposite number and invited him to fill it in. Middlesbrough declined.

At Hampden Park in 1947, Hardwick captained Great Britain against a FIFA side, Great Britain winning 6-1. In all he went on to make 166 appearances for Middlesbrough, scoring five goals. In November 1950 he was transferred to Oldham Athletic, for whom, as player-manager, he made 190 appearances and scored 14 times. After retiring as a player, Hardwick coached the United States 7th Army in Germany he then coached PSV Eindhoven (1957-59) and the Dutch national side (1959-61), before rejoining Middlesbrough as youth team coach.

In November 1964 Hardwick was appointed manager of Sunderland. Despite guiding the Wearside club to what was then their highest post-war position, he was sacked after only 169 days. During this period he started Brian Clough on his managerial career, by appointing him coach to the youth team. Hardwick never, of course, knew the lifestyle enjoyed by today's successful footballers. But he was a handsome man, and was friendly with actresses such as Kay Kendall, Shirley Eaton, Margaret Lockwood and Ava Gardner.

He was guest of honour at Wembley when England lost 2-0 to France in February 1999, and was not impressed by what he saw: "By God, they played without an atom of pride. I've never seen 11 players with less guts. My players would have walked home if they'd played like that." He added: "For the players, it's all too quick and easy now. For us it was about pride. I wanted to be somebody, so I worked for it."

He is survived by his second wife Jennifer (née Totterdell) they were together for 36 years and married in 1983. From his previous marriage he had two sons, who survive him. - The Telegraph obituary


History of Sodomy Laws

The Sensibilities of Our Forefathers, the definitive legal history of sodomy laws in the United States by George Painter. It puts everything else here to shame.

Survey of Key Developments Worldwide by Alan Freeman

Other history articles

The proscription of sodomy in the English tradition began in 1533 when King Henry VIII adopted contemporary church doctrine into a system of laws at the time of the English withdrawal from the Catholic Church. Sodomy became both a sin and a crime, since ecclesiastical law recognizes no distinction between the concepts of "sin" and "crime." Sodomy included any form of non-procreative acts including masturbation, oral and anal sex.

The original thirteen American colonies derived their laws from the English common law and continued the legal tradition in which sodomy carried the penalty of death.

The 1683 Pennsylvania law called sodomy an "unnatural sin" and the East New Jersey law listed it among the "Offenses against God."

Every state adopted some form of a sodomy law as it joined the United States, either in acceptance of an unwritten common law or in formal codification. A slow modernization of laws away from a religious doctrine into a secular system reduced penalties over time in a piece meal fashion. All states had laws against sodomy by 1960.

The 1955 edition of the American Law Institute’s model penal code omitted sodomy laws for the first time. In 1961, the Illinois legislature revised their criminal code without prohibiting sodomy. The law went into effect in 1962 without fanfare.

Idaho was the second state to repeal its sodomy law through a general modernization of its laws. According to Dr. Franklin E. Kameny, the Advocate, then a gay newspaper, ran a headline celebrating the repeal. This came to the attention of Idaho state legislators who called an emergency session "into which they marched waving copies of the Advocate." The legislature repealed the just enacted modern criminal code. Connecticut was the next state to repeal its sodomy law in 1971 in a modernization of the penal code. Twenty-one other states followed suit. Gay activists had little or no involvement with most of these repeals. In fact, many of the states that repealed their laws are just beginning to form organizations that can lobby effectively for their rights.

Exceptions that trend came from California, Minnesota, New York and DC. Gay Activists in these places began explicit gay rights campaigns to repeal their sodomy laws. California was the only one of these states to successfully repeal its law prior to 1980.

California’s sodomy repeal effort began in 1969 with urging from Morris Kight, Rev. Troy Perry and others. The repeal bill was introduced to the California legislature starting in 1969 by Assemblyman Willie Brown, and every year afterwards until its passage in 1975. In 1975, the liberal Democratic state Senate Majority Leader, George Moscone — running for Mayor of San Francisco — twisted many arms for its passage. The Senate deadlocked on a 20-20 vote, Moscone locked the chamber doors, until Lieutenant Governor Merv Dymallyin could fly back from Denver and cast the tie-breaking vote. It was signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Moscone’s efforts won the support of the large gay population of San Francisco and Moscone beat Diane Feinstein in the primary, and edged out city superintendent John Barbagelata to become the first liberal mayor of San Francisco. Moscone was later assassinated by former supervisor Dan White along with the first gay supervisor, Harvey Milk. Brown and Feinstein later became Mayors and Feinstein is currently a US Senator from California.

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s the growing strength and politicization of religious extremists significantly slowed the repeal efforts. The awaking of religious political extremists led to at least two states to enact specifically anti-gay sodomy laws at the same time as they otherwise modernized their criminal codes. Kentucky enacted a homosexual-only sodomy law in 1974. Arkansas did the same in 1977 with the approval of then state Attorney General Bill Clinton.

The Kentucky law was declared unconstitutional in Commonwealth v. Wasson under the equal protection and privacy rights of the Kentucky constitution. The Arkansas law is currently being challenged.

At the same time, the AIDS crisis took the fledgling gay political community away from gay rights issues, including sodomy repeal, and focused the efforts on care, treatment and other more immediate needs of people with HIV and AIDS.

Courts and lawmakers withdrew from repeal efforts in light of the potential criticism of promoting homosexual sex at a time that the HIV transmission modes were becoming known. Transmission of HIV through anal sex was a major factor blocking the 1987 Minnesota repeal bill.

In 1986 Bowers contre Hardwick was decided by the US Supreme Court and sparked a resurgence of interest in sodomy laws.

Michael Hardwick was a bartender in a gay bar in Atlanta, Georgia who was targeted by a police officer for harassment. In 1982, an unknowing houseguest let the officer let into Hardwick’s home the officer went to the bedroom where Hardwick was engaged in sex with his partner. The men were arrested on the charge of sodomy. Charges were later dropped, but Hardwick brought the case forward with the purpose of having the sodomy law declared unconstitutional.

Tonnelles was a response to a particularly insulting police action and repeal advocates had hoped that the case would put an end to sodomy laws in the United States when it reached the Supreme Court. Unfortunately, the 5-4 decision found that nothing in the Constitution "would extend a fundamental right to homosexuals to engage in acts of consensual sodomy."

Justice Lewis Powell was the swing vote in the decision, switching from supporting invalidating all sodomy laws to denying homosexuals any right of privacy. In October of 1990, three years after his retirement, Powell told a group of New York University Law students, "I think I probably made a mistake in that one." He told the National Law Journal, "That case was not a major case, and one of the reasons I voted the way I did was the case was a frivolous case" brought "just to see what the court would do" on the subject. A more callous opinion is hard to imagine. As AIDS services became institutionalized and the benefits of direct action on AIDS issues waned, activists in the 1990’s returned to gay issues and sodomy repeal efforts were again successful.

Since the Tonnelles decision two states, Nevada and Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia have repealed their laws. In all three successful efforts there was an explicit goal by mostly gay activists to repeal the law, in contrast to the code modernization of earlier efforts. Repeal advocates in other states also launched or continued to introduce repeal legislation.

In Washington, DC, activists had been successful in 1981 in passing the Sexual Assault Reform bill, which modernized DC’s law on sex crimes. The bill passed the DC Council and was signed by then Mayor Marion Barry. The US Congress controls all of DC legislation bowing to anti-gay sentiment led by Jerry Fawell in a national campaign, killed the entire bill. New legislation was introduced every year starting in 1982 but it languished in the Judiciary Committee controlled by Wilhelmina Rolark.

In February 1992, a raid on a private gay club, the Follies Theater, resulting in 14 arrests㬇 on sodomy charges—sparked the gay community to focus efforts on repealing the sodomy law once again.

A separate arrest in 1992 of two men engaging in consensual sex in their car parked in DC also evoked community outrage. The two fought the law in court before a jury and essentially admitted to the act in court, but argued that they had not done anything that should be criminalized. The jury agreed and neutralized the law in their case.

A group of repeal activists from the direct action group Queer Nation turned themselves in to the police for committing sodomy in the District. The police, shocked by this action, were left scrambling for a response. They eventually took sworn statements from 3 couples who could testify that they had committed sodomy with each other. No arrests were made and no one was prosecuted.

Facing considerable public opposition to the arrests, Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly ordered the police chief to stop enforcing the law against consenting adults.

An amendment to an unrelated bill to reform the law was proposed in 1992 but defeated by the DC Council.

Mayor Marion Barry’s unrelated personal and legal problems resulted in a 6-month jail term for crack cocaine possession. He had declined to run for Mayor in 1990, but in 1992 ran for City Council against Rolark. Rolark was defeated and in 1993, with a shift in committee chairs, the bill was introduced to the City Council.

Hearings on the bill lasted for nearly 9 hours without a break and were almost completely dominated by gay activists. Dr. Kameny, representing the Traditional Values Coalition of Washington, DC and the Mattachine Society, opened the hearing with strong testimony in favor of the bill. Kameny, who had worked for repeal of the law for more that 30 years, testified that sodomy should be legalized and considered "good, moral, and rewarding."

Kameny had incorporated Traditional Values Coalition in DC forcing the national anti-gay activist group to be identified as being from California where they are incorporated, significantly diminishing their impact on the locally elected officials. Most of the opposition testimony came from local Baptist ministers but they, and a Catholic official, admitted that they were most concerned about public sex which the sodomy-reform bill would not have legalized.

The reform bill, written by Kameny, stated simply "No act engaged in only by consenting persons 16 years of age or older shall constitute an offense under this section." Kameny had wanted to simultaneously repeal the adultery, fornication and similar laws, but met with opposition from DC Council members. The bill passed the Council unanimously and Mayor Kelly signed it in a public ceremony.

Representatives of national gay rights groups—including the Human Rights Campaign Fund, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the Campaign for Military Service—asked DC activists to delay sending the reform bill to Congress for approval, saying that the gays in the military fight strained their resources. The DC activists refused. Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) asked the Republican leadership in the Senate not to support an amendment drafted by Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC) and they, not wishing another fight on gay sexuality, complied, allowing the reform bill to become law.

The sodomy law was repealed completely in 1995 with the passage of the Sexual Assault Reform bill that finally modernized the DC criminal code.

After the Nevada Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Nevada gay-only sodomy law, the legislature in 1993 amended the law making four major changes.

The bill made oral and anal sex criminal only when performed in public and removed the qualification that made it apply only to acts committed between adults of the same-sex. The archaic, offensive and vague language "infamous crimes against nature" was replaced with "anal intercourse, cunnilingus, or fellatio." And the section stating that "any sex penetration, however slight is sufficient to complete the crime against nature" was removed, as it was no longer meaningful with the new language.

Nevada, unlike DC, benefited from the strategy of amending the sodomy law into a public sex law. By expanding reform of the law that only prohibited homosexual acts into a wider issue, the anti-gay activists were blunted.

The Rhode Island Supreme Court failed to overturn the state’s "Abominable and Detestable Crime Against Nature" law in four separate cases from 1962 through 1985. A reform bill was introduced in 1984 by Rep. John Harwood, a Democrat who later became Speaker of the House. The reformed law would have allowed "private, consensual sexual acts between adults." It was in response to sexual misconduct by police at a bachelor party and was not sought for the protection of gay and lesbian people. The bill passed the House, but was blocked by the Senate.

Jorge Lopes was charged with sexual assault after a woman accused him of forcing her to submit to vaginal, anal, and oral sex. Lopes testified that they had sex, but he argued that it was consensual. The jury believed him, acquitting him of sexual assault but, acting on instructions from the judge, found him guilty of committing an abominable and detestable crime against nature. The Supreme Court, in State of Rhode Island v. Jorge Lopes, upheld the decision but did not rule on the law’s constitutionality. Lopes was given a 10-year suspended sentence with 10 years probation. ,

In frustration with the state Supreme Court’s pro-sodomy law opinions, repeal activists started to introduce their own legislation. But they failed to repeal the sodomy law until 1998.

In September 1997, North Smithfield, Rhode Island police tried to make a case against two men who had allegedly committed consensual sex in the woods near Route 146.

The incident came to light when one of the two men went to the police to complain that his wallet was stolen during the sexual encounter, and the police charged both men – the alleged thief and his alleged victim – with "abominable and detestable crime(s) against nature." Attorney General Jeffrey B. Pine declined to prosecute.

The case received considerable attention in the press and led to resurgence in support for legislative repeal.

Added to the repeal efforts was Superior Court Judge Frank Williams’ decision in the Block Island rape trial, which threw out the sodomy charge and acquitted Edward F. McGovern, a prominent politician in New Shorem, and his co-defendants of sexual assault charges. Williams ruled that the Rhode Island sodomy law violates the equal-protection clause of the state Constitution because it treats married and unmarried couples differently. The Attorney General declined to appeal, but repeal advocates feared that the decision would be overturned by the state Supreme Court.

Repeal advocates turned away from the court as a possible avenue and began introducing repeal legislation in 1992. Finding the legislature to be unready to pass the bill, votes were not called for six years. The bill was even withdrawn in 1995, so as not to interfere with the passage of the non-discrimination law that passed that year. The House Judiciary committee did hold a hearing in 1996, but the bill did not move forward.

The repeal bill’s House sponsor, Rep. Edith Ajello—strategizing with gay and lesbian rights activists—finally thought that passage was a possibility in 1998. On May 7, 1998 the repeal bill passed the Rhode Island House on a vote of 49 to 40. The Rhode Island Senate voted 26 to 17 on June 2, 1998 to repeal the law. Republican Governor Lincoln Almond signed the bill into law.


From Christopher Hardwick

Yours of the 8th Instant Came to hand the 20th1. I wou’d have wrote to you as often as you Desire, but that I have nothing material to Mention so often to write to you about, neither have I at this time any agreeable News or acct to Send to you in regard to our Crop the Weather being so excessive Dry, had not one Shower of rain since my Last Letter to you ’till Sunday last,2 makes me fear it will be but a poor Crop, tho. Better with you than with any other in our Neighbourhood, our last planting is but very small by the Drought & a great deal of it burnt up—According to your Directions I have sent the Mare with her four Colts to Mount Vernon, & wrote to John Alton to take particular Care of them,3 I shall have the Wheat Threshed out as soon as possible, people won’t ⟨ mutilated ⟩ hired to thresh at this Time, nor can I spare any of our own people ⟨ mutilated ⟩o it, as yet, Please to let me know what Quantity of wheat you’l have Sowed this year, your people are all well, I have nothing else material to Mention but am with due Respect Sir your most Humble & Obedient Servant

P.S. Sir please to write to me by the first opportunity concerning the Wheat.

1 . GW’s letter of 8 Aug. has not been found.

2 . The most recent letter found from Hardwick is dated 3 August.

3 . See Humphrey Knight to GW, 24 Aug., for the arrival of the mare and colts at Mount Vernon on 23 August.


Voir la vidéo: CW109: Madars Fleminas vs George Hardwick