USS Pastores - Histoire

USS Pastores - Histoire

Pasteurs

(AF-16 : dp. 12 650 ; 1. 486'6"; né. 55'; dr. 14'6"; s. 15.5
une. 4 5", 2 1 livres)

Pastores a été construit par Workman Clark, Ltd., Belfast, Irlande en 1913 ; acquis par la Marine de United Fruit Company le 1er mai 1918; et mis en service le 6 mai 1918.

Pastores était l'un des innombrables navires marchands affrétés par la Marine pendant la Première Guerre mondiale pour transporter les forces américaines en Europe, à travers les eaux infestées de sous-marins. Pastores a commencé ce service dans les derniers mois de 1917, et elle a rencontré plusieurs sous-marins au cours de son premier service naval.

Parti de New York en convoi le 20 décembre 1917, il se trouvait à 900 milles des côtes françaises en janvier 1918, lorsqu'un sous-marin apparut à l'arrière. Le président Grant, l'un des navires du convoi, a tiré 1 coup de feu sur le sous-marin, qui n'a pas été revu. Le 9 janvier, après que le convoi eut été rejoint par une escorte de destroyers dans la baie de Biseay, un sous-marin attaqua ; le convoi a tiré 15 coups de feu sur le bateau, qu'on n'a plus revu. Les sous-marins faisaient leur apogée contre la marine marchande. Pastores a de nouveau aperçu des sous-marins lors des traversées de convois en août et septembre.

Après la fin de la guerre, Pastores a ramené des troupes aux États-Unis. Elle a été désarmée et a été renvoyée à la United Fruit Co. le 8 octobre 1919 et a servi sur la course Antilles-Amérique centrale jusqu'au 20 décembre 1941, date à laquelle elle a été acquise par la W.S.A. de qui la Marine l'a de nouveau affrété. Le 23 janvier l9i2, la Marine l'a racheté en location coque nue, il a été remis en service le 13 février 1942 sous le nom d'AF-16, sous le commandement du Capt C. L. Andrews. Servant de navire de ravitaillement, les Pastores transportaient de la nourriture et du matériel de guerre pour les Alliés. Au service de la ComService Force Atlantic en 1942, les Pastores se sont rendus dans les Caraïbes sous-infestées. Le 16 juin, il récupère 36 survivants du SS Arkansas, victime d'un sous-pack. Plus tard dans le mois, elle a arrêté les pétroliers italiens Arcola et Taigeter mais, après enquête, les a laissés passer. Pastores a fourni des forces à Trinidad, Cuba, les Bermudes et d'autres îles des Caraïbes avec de la nourriture fraîche et est retourné aux États-Unis avec des cargaisons complètes de sucre. Les pasteurs ont continué ce devoir jusqu'à ce qu'ils transitent par le canal de Panama en novembre 1943 pour rejoindre la guerre contre le Japon.

Opérant depuis San Francisco et Pearl Harbor en 1944, le navire a déchargé sa cargaison réfrigérée et congelée vers la flotte de combat et les bases côtières des îles Elliee, Gilbert, Marshall et des Nouvelles-Hébrides. S'arrêtant à Espiritu Santo, Milne Bay, Finsehhafen et Biak avec des provisions de vacances fraîches de San Francisco début octobre, elle a terminé de décharger sa cargaison à San Pedro Bay, Leyte. Premier "reefer" du golfe de Leyte après l'invasion, il est arrivé avant que les installations de réception ne soient prêtes sur la plage et a ainsi esquivé les avions japonais jusqu'à ce qu'il puisse décharger.

De la Baie de San Pedro, elle a procédé aux Amirautés et à la Nouvelle-Zélande. Pendant près d'un an, il a transporté des vivres vers les ports de la Guinée Néerlandaise, les Philippines, Palaos, les Amirautés, les Salomon et les îles Russell. Avec la fin de la guerre en vue, il se dirigea vers Pearl Harbor, où il reçut l'annonce de la victoire. En octobre, elle quitta San Francisco avec de la nourriture de vacances fraîche pour les forces de Leyte.

De retour à San Francisco, Pastores a été désarmé le 14 mars 1946 et a été transféré à W.S.A. Il a été rayé du Naval Vessel Register le 28 mars 1946 et vendu à Walter W. Johnson Co. pour démolition le 19 décembre 1946.


En souvenir de George Rentz, un pasteur né au Liban qui s'est sacrifié pour ses hommes pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale

De nombreux hommes et femmes américains ont donné leur vie pour leur pays, faisant preuve d'un courage et d'une bravoure incroyables face à la guerre. Le Liban peut revendiquer un homme particulièrement extraordinaire parmi les héros du pays.

George Snavely Rentz est né au Liban de William et Catherine Rentz, originaires de Pottsville, le 25 juillet 1882. Son enfance a été passée au Kansas mais il est retourné au Liban pour ses années de lycée. En 1903, il est diplômé du Pennsylvania College de Gettysburg (aujourd'hui Gettysburg College). Par la suite, il fréquenta le Princeton Theological Seminary dans le New Jersey, y obtint son diplôme en 1909 et devint par la suite ordonné dans le presbytère de Northumberland.

Rentz est retourné dans sa vallée natale au cours des années suivantes, exerçant la fonction de pasteur dans les églises locales de Hershey, Welsh Run et Harrisburg. Il a épousé Rebekah Klepper en 1911 et ensemble, ils ont élevé quatre enfants.

Lorsque les États-Unis sont entrés dans la Première Guerre mondiale en 1917, Rentz, dans la mi-trentaine, a été nommé aumônier par intérim temporaire avec le grade de lieutenant, selon le site Web du Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC). Après la guerre, Rentz a poursuivi son implication dans la Marine, servant d'aumônier sur divers navires et obtenant plusieurs promotions, obtenant finalement le titre d'aumônier régulier avec grade de commandant en 1924.

À la fin de 1940, Rentz a été transféré sur l'USS Houston, un navire de croisière du Pacifique, et serait devenu très apprécié des membres d'équipage. Pour l'année suivante, il se consacra avec énergie et enthousiasme au bien-être des officiers et des hommes du navire, selon le NHHC.

L'attaque japonaise sur Pearl Harbor à la fin de cette période en décembre 1941 a précipité l'entrée en guerre des États-Unis, et l'USS Houston, commandé par le capitaine Albert Rooks, a navigué dans le théâtre de l'océan Pacifique en tant que navire amiral de la flotte asiatique.

Le navire a été impliqué dans plusieurs batailles pendant une brève période avant de rencontrer son destin à la bataille du détroit de la Sonde, aux premières heures du 1er mars 1942. L'USS Houston, aux côtés du croiseur australien HMAS Perth, se remettait de la plus tôt bataille de la mer de Java. Les deux navires se sont retrouvés inopinément en infériorité numérique par une force de navires de la marine impériale japonaise. Après des heures d'échange, le HMAS Perth a été coulé, suivi de peu par l'USS Houston.

Les survivants du naufrage de ces derniers, Rentz inclus, se sont retrouvés sur un flotteur surpeuplé avec plusieurs hommes pataugeant toujours dans l'eau sans gilet de sauvetage, dont le matelot de première classe Walter Beeson, dont le 20e anniversaire n'aurait pas pu tomber à un pire moment.

Rentz a pris sa décision. Il décide de céder sa place sur le petit char et son gilet de sauvetage à l'un des autres qui se débattent encore dans l'épave. Aucun n'a accepté son offre au début. Enfin, il a enlevé sa veste, s'est glissé dans l'eau, a dit une prière pour les survivants restants et a nagé dans l'océan. Beeson, qui a fini par prendre la veste à contrecœur, a rappelé plus tard les mots de l'aumônier de 59 ans avant de partir : "Vous les hommes, vous êtes jeunes avec la vie devant vous, je suis vieux et je me suis bien amusé."

Selon le NHHC, Beeson était le seul des hommes sur le char à survivre à la guerre. Les autres sont morts avant l'aube ou ont été tués après avoir été faits prisonniers de guerre.

Jusqu'en 2021, Rentz était le seul aumônier de la Marine à recevoir à titre posthume la Navy Cross, la deuxième plus haute distinction décernée derrière la Medal of Honor. Il a été rejoint par le lieutenant Thomas Conway en janvier de cette année. Incidemment, le capitaine de l'USS Houston, Albert Rooks, a reçu à titre posthume la médaille d'honneur, il a été tué sur le pont et a coulé avec le navire après d'excellents conseils tout au long de ses batailles.

Le sacrifice de Rentz est resté dans les mémoires au fil des ans. En 1966, le nouvel orgue Reuter de l'église presbytérienne de Derry à Hershey - où Rentz avait été pasteur de 1913 à 1916 - fut consacré à son nom. L'instrument a récemment été transféré dans une église de Memphis, Tennessee, car Derry Presbyterian est en train d'installer un nouvel orgue.

Le nom de Rentz est également resté dans les mémoires bien au-delà de la vallée de Susquehanna. Dans les années 1980, la Marine a honoré Rentz en nommant une nouvelle frégate, l'USS Rentz, lancée en 1983 et mise en service l'année suivante. Lors de la cérémonie se trouvaient des survivants du naufrage de l'USS Houston ainsi que Jean Lansing, la fille de George Rentz, qui a également parrainé le navire. Après des décennies d'utilisation, il a été coulé à dessein en 2016 dans l'océan Pacifique occidental.

La crête de l'USS Rentz est incluse ci-dessous. Sa conception comprend un bouclier portant un symbole de croix, reflétant la foi de Rentz, et une phrase simple. “Dread Nought” ne fait pas référence au type de cuirassé, mais au terme littéral beaucoup plus ancien “dread Nought :” ne rien craindre.

Des questions sur cette histoire ? Des suggestions pour un futur article de LebTown ? Contactez notre salle de presse en utilisant le formulaire de contact ci-dessous et nous ferons de notre mieux pour vous répondre.

Soutenez-vous l'actualité locale ?
Si vous pensez que le comté de Liban a besoin d'un journalisme indépendant et de haute qualité, envisagez de rejoindre LebTown en tant que membre. Votre soutien ira directement à des histoires comme celle-ci et vous contribuerez à garantir que notre communauté dispose d'une source d'information fiable pour les années à venir.


Souvenir de la Première Guerre mondiale : les premiers navires de troupes américains arrivent en France

Peu de temps après l'entrée des États-Unis dans la Première Guerre mondiale, le commandant des opérations de convoi américain a reçu l'ordre d'organiser et de commencer à escorter les forces expéditionnaires américaines (AEF) en France. Face à la menace des sous-marins ennemis, les navires américains traversant l'Atlantique avaient besoin de protection. Quatre croiseurs, 13 destroyers, deux yachts armés et deux pétroliers se sont réunis dans le port de New York début juin 1917 pour servir d'escorte. Ils convoyaient 14 navires à vapeur et trois transports de la marine vers la France avec des cargaisons de soldats, de matériel, d'animaux de trait et de fournitures. À la fin de la guerre, plus de 75 % des troupes américaines passaient par le port de New York pour se rendre en Europe.

En peu de temps, les navires de transport avaient été rassemblés, aménagés pour transporter des troupes, équipés de radios et armés. Les États-Unis ont même utilisé des navires allemands qui avaient été internés ou saisis après la déclaration de guerre. Le gouvernement américain devait faire preuve de souplesse et d'efficacité afin d'acheminer rapidement des troupes et du ravitaillement en Europe. Le 14 juin, les navires étaient jugés prêts à naviguer.

Le croiseur USS Seattle et les destroyers USS Wilkes, Terry, Roe, et plus tard, le Fanning ont servi d'escorte lourde à l'USS Tenadores, Saratoga, La Havane, Pastores et le DeKalb, un navire marchand allemand capturé. (Merchantman est un nom donné à un navire, un pétrolier ou un cargo dont le but prévu est le transport de marchandises et de fournitures, et non de troupes militaires). Leurs ordres les envoyèrent vers le port de Brest, en France. Tard dans la nuit du 22 juin, des torpilles traversèrent le convoi, manquant de peu plusieurs navires. Le lieutenant T. VanMetre du destroyer USS Wilkes a utilisé les premiers sonars passifs pour discerner les sons des sous-marins à proximité. Les navires se sont dispersés comme prévu et se sont regroupés le matin du 23. Les marines du DeKalb étaient au courant de l'attaque, mais certains soldats ont raté l'incident. Un soldat de la première division a rapporté « Des rumeurs quotidiennes se sont répandues selon lesquelles des sous-marins étaient proches, mais personne ne les a vus ». La Marine a fait remarquer plus tard l'incident au Congrès.

Dans l'après-midi du 24, le convoi a rendez-vous avec des destroyers américains supplémentaires stationnés à Queenstown, en Irlande. Ils ont escorté les navires vers la France, où l'on pouvait voir des avions français patrouillant pour les sous-marins. A cause des U-boot au large du port de Brest, ils ont plutôt pris la direction de Saint-Nazaire. Les navires de troupes bondés sont arrivés en toute sécurité, donnant aux soldats, aux marins et aux Marines un grand sentiment de soulagement.

Le 26 juin, le débarquement a commencé avec les débardeurs de l'armée qui se sont rendus à terre pour préparer le déchargement. La compagnie K du 28th Infantry Regiment est la première unité d'infanterie de l'AEF à mettre le pied en France. Le reste du 28e et le 16e régiment d'infanterie débarquèrent également ce jour-là, ainsi qu'une partie du 5e régiment de marines. C'était le 30 juin avant que tout le contingent puisse être débarqué. En raison de l'exiguïté du port, il a fallu quelques jours aux débardeurs assistés par les Marines pour ramener tous les animaux, le matériel et les fournitures à terre.

Premières unités à débarquer à Saint-Nazaire par ordre d'arrivée :

• 16e régiment d'infanterie
• 18e régiment d'infanterie
• 26e régiment d'infanterie
• 28e régiment d'infanterie
• 5e Régiment de Marines
• Hôpital de campagne de l'armée n°13
• Compagnie d'ambulance n°13
• Compagnie C 2e Bataillon des transmissions de campagne

Les premières unités à terre ont marché trois milles jusqu'au camp n° 1, un site construit à la hâte par les prisonniers de guerre allemands. Le maire de Saint-Nazaire a accueilli les Américains, qui ont impressionné les citoyens de la petite ville portuaire. Des fanfares françaises locales ont joué en l'honneur des Américains, et les fanfares régimentaires américaines ont rendu le compliment. Peu de temps après leur arrivée, les Français ont demandé aux Américains de défiler à Paris le 4 juillet comme symbole de l'entrée en guerre des États-Unis. Le 2e bataillon du 16e régiment d'infanterie a reçu un accueil enthousiaste à Paris de la part des citoyens français et des représentants du gouvernement.


USS Pastores - Histoire


Cette page fait partie de mes pages web concernant les cartes postales illustrées des navires de guerre de la Première Guerre mondiale. Cette page décrit les transports de troupes eux-mêmes et un peu sur leur histoire.

J'ai un exemplaire d'un livre intitulé Une histoire du service de transport par le vice-amiral Albert Gleaves, U.S.N. Il a été publié en 1921 et décrit l'effort incroyable nécessaire pour transporter des millions de soldats américains à la fois en France et chez eux. Plusieurs tableaux et illustrations du livre sont disponibles sur mon compte web, en suivant les liens sur cette page. Ces informations peuvent vous aider si vous recherchez un navire en particulier ou si vous souhaitez voir les statistiques derrière cet effort de guerre majeur.

Notez que le contenu de ce livre est disponible en ligne : Copie en ligne de Une histoire du service de transport par le vice-amiral Albert Gleaves, U.S.N. Vous pouvez télécharger votre propre exemplaire et en savoir plus sur cette histoire fascinante, ainsi que sur les navires et les hommes qui en faisaient partie.

Listes de passagers

Ancestry.com propose un moteur de recherche qui peut aider à mettre en relation un militaire en particulier avec un transport de troupes.

Listes de navires

Les images suivantes ont été numérisées à partir du livre mentionné ci-dessus. Ces pages répertorient les navires utilisés pour transporter des troupes en France. Ces navires ont également participé au retour des troupes. Tous les navires allemands répertoriés ici ont été saisis par les États-Unis après son entrée dans la guerre en 1917. (Notez que d'autres navires allemands ont été utilisés pour renvoyer des troupes, mais ces navires ont été donnés aux États-Unis dans le cadre des réparations d'après-guerre. ) Chaque ligne est formatée ainsi : NOM du NAVIRE [tonnage], Origine du navire, « Tours : », Nombre de rotations, « Px : », Nombre total de passagers transportés vers l'Europe, Date à laquelle ce navire a commencé à transporter des troupes (mois, jour-année comme '17' ou '18' pour 1917 ou 1918).

Aeolus [22000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 24770, 4-17 août

Agamemnon [30000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 10, Px : 36097, 21-17 août

Amérique [41500], ex-allemand, tours : 9, Px : 39768, 6-17 août

Antigone [15000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 16526, 5-17 sept.

Calamares [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 5, Px: 7657, 9-18 avril

Covington [41500], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 6, Px : 21628, 28-17 juillet

De Kalb (Aux. Cruiser) [14280], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 11, Px : 11334, 12-17 mai

Finlande [22000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 5, Px : 12654, 26-18 avril

Géo. Washington [George Washington] [39435], ex-allemand, tours : 9, Px : 48373, du 6 au 17 septembre

Great Northern [14000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 10, Px: 28248, 1er-17 novembre

Hancock [10000], Transport maritime, Tours : 2, Px : 1438, ---

Harrisburg [15000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 4, Px : 9855, 29-18 mai

Henderson [10000], Transport maritime, Tours : 10, Px : 16352, 24-17 mai

Huron [15000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 20871, 25-17 juillet

K. der Nederlanden [Koningin der Nederlanden] [13600], Dutch Chartered, Tours: 3, Px: 6283, 4-18 avril

Kroonland [22000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 5, Px: 14125, 25-18 avril

Lenape [7000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 6, Px : 8975, 24-17 avril

Léviathan [69000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 10, Px : 96804, 25-17 juillet

Louisville [14000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 4, Px: 9247, 27-18 avril

Madawaska [15000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 17931, 27-17 août

H. R. Mallory [11000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 6, Px : 9756, 17-18 avril

Mandchourie [26500], Am-Passenger, Tours: 4, Px: 14491, 25-18 avril

Martha Washington [14500], ex-allemande, tours : 8, Px : 22311, du 2 au 18 janvier

Matsonia [17000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 6, Px : 13329, 1-18 mars

Maui [17500], Am-Passenger, Tours : 4, Px : 11042, 6-18 mars

Mercure [16000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 7, Px : 18542, 3-17 août

Mongolie [26695], Am-Passenger, Tours : 5, Px : 19013, 8-18 mai

Mount Vernon [32130], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 33692, 28-17 juillet

Pacifique Nord [12500], Am-Passenger, Tours : 9, Px : 20711, 1er au 17 novembre

Orizaba [13000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 6, Px : 15712, 27-18 mai

Pastores [13000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 6, Px: 9928, 6-18 mai

Plattsburg [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 4, Px : 8776, 25-18 mai

Pocahontas [14500], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 20503, 25-17 juillet

Powhatan [17000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 7, Px : 14613, 16-17 août

Prés. Grant [Président Grant] [33000], ex-allemand, tours : 8, Px : 39974, 2-17 août

Prés. Lincoln [Président Lincoln] [29000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 5, Px : 20143, 25-17 juillet

Princesse Matoika [17500], Ex-Allemande, Tours : 6, Px : 21216, 27-18 mai

Rijndam [22070], Dutch Chartered, Tours: 6, Px: 17913, 1-18 mai

Siboney [11250], Am-Passenger, Tours: 7, Px: 20219, 8-18 avr.

Sierra [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 1, Px : 1712, 1-18 juillet

Susquehanna [16950], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 18345, 5-17 septembre

Tenadores [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 13, Px : 15698, 17-18 avril

Von Steuben [22000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 14347, 9-17 juin

Wilhelmina [13500], Am-Passenger, Tours: 6, Px: 11053, 26-18 janvier

Zeelandia [12950], Dutch Chartered, Tours: 5, Px: 8349, 3-18 avril

Le même tableau que ci-dessus, mais trié par le nombre de troupes traitées. Cette information peut être utile aux collectionneurs, car il peut y avoir une relation entre le nombre de troupes et le nombre de cartes postales et de lettres possibles achetées et/ou postées à partir de ces navires. Certains de ces navires ont transporté très, très peu de passagers pendant la guerre.

Léviathan [69000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 10, Px : 96804, 25-17 juillet

Géo. Washington [George Washington] [39435], ex-allemand, tours : 9, Px : 48373, du 6 au 17 septembre

Prés. Grant [Président Grant] [33000], ex-allemand, tours : 8, Px : 39974, 2-17 août

Amérique [41500], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 39768, 6-17 août

Agamemnon [30000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 10, Px : 36097, 21-17 août

Mount Vernon [32130], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 33692, 28-17 juillet

Great Northern [14000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 10, Px: 28248, 1er-17 novembre

Aeolus [22000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 24770, 4-17 août

Martha Washington [14500], ex-allemande, tours : 8, Px : 22311, du 2 au 18 janvier

Covington [41500], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 6, Px : 21628, 28-17 juillet

Princesse Matoika [17500], Ex-Allemande, Tours : 6, Px : 21216, 27-18 mai

Huron [15000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 20871, 25-17 juillet

Pacifique Nord [12500], Am-Passenger, Tours : 9, Px : 20711, 1er au 17 novembre

Pocahontas [14500], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 20503, 25-17 juillet

Siboney [11250], Am-Passenger, Tours: 7, Px: 20219, 8-18 avr.

Prés. Lincoln [Président Lincoln] [29000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 5, Px : 20143, 25-17 juillet

Mongolie [26695], Am-Passenger, Tours : 5, Px : 19013, 8-18 mai

Mercure [16000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 7, Px : 18542, 3-17 août

Susquehanna [16950], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 18345, 5-17 septembre

Madawaska [15000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 17931, 27-17 août

Rijndam [22070], Dutch Chartered, Tours: 6, Px: 17913, 1-18 mai

Antigone [15000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 8, Px : 16526, 5-17 sept.

Henderson [10000], Transport maritime, Tours : 10, Px : 16352, 24-17 mai

Orizaba [13000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 6, Px : 15712, 27-18 mai

Tenadores [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 13, Px : 15698, 17-18 avril

Powhatan [17000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 7, Px : 14613, 16-17 août

Mandchourie [26500], Am-Passenger, Tours: 4, Px: 14491, 25-18 avril

Von Steuben [22000], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 9, Px : 14347, 9-17 juin

Kroonland [22000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 5, Px: 14125, 25-18 avril

Matsonia [17000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 6, Px: 13329, 1-18 mars

Finlande [22000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 5, Px : 12654, 26-18 avril

De Kalb (Aux. Cruiser) [14280], Ex-Allemand, Tours : 11, Px : 11334, 12-17 mai

Wilhelmina [13500], Am-Passenger, Tours: 6, Px: 11053, 26-18 janvier

Maui [17500], Am-Passenger, Tours : 4, Px : 11042, 6-18 mars

Pastores [13000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 6, Px: 9928, 6-18 mai

Harrisburg [15000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 4, Px : 9855, 29-18 mai

H. R. Mallory [11000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 6, Px : 9756, 17-18 avril

Louisville [14000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 4, Px: 9247, 27-18 avril

Lenape [7000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 6, Px : 8975, 24-17 avril

Plattsburg [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 4, Px : 8776, 25-18 mai

Zeelandia [12950], Dutch Chartered, Tours: 5, Px: 8349, 3-18 avril

Calamares [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours: 5, Px: 7657, 9-18 avril

K. der Nederlanden [Koningin der Nederlanden] [13600], Dutch Chartered, Tours: 3, Px: 6283, 4-18 avril

Sierra [10000], Am-Passenger, Tours : 1, Px : 1712, 1-18 juillet

Hancock [10000], Transport maritime, Tours : 2, Px : 1438, ---

Paquebots allemands saisis

Un certain nombre de paquebots allemands ont été internés par les États-Unis au début de la guerre européenne (1914). Ils ont été saisis lorsque les États-Unis sont entrés en guerre (1917) et convertis en transports de troupes le plus rapidement possible, car les États-Unis n'avaient pas une capacité suffisante pour transporter des troupes. Les navires ont été renommés à partir de leurs noms allemands, le cas échéant. Les listes sont dirigées par la ville dans laquelle ils ont été internés. Chaque ligne répertorie le nom du navire, avec le [nom du navire allemand d'origine] et le (tonnage) du navire.

Éole [Grosser Kurfurst] (13102)

Agamemnon [Kaiser Guillaume II] (19361)

Géo. Washington [George Washington] (19361)

Huron [Frederich der Grosse] (10771)

Léviathan [Vaterland] (52820)

Madawaska [Koenig Wilhelm] (9410)

Pocahontas [Prinzess Irene] (10893)

Président Grant [Président Grant] (33000 (le livre par erreur donne 18172))

Président Lincoln [Président Lincoln] (29000 (le livre par erreur donne 18172))

Covington [Cincinnati] (16339)

Mont Vernon [Kronprinzessin Cécile] (19503)

Von Steuben [Kronprinz Wilhelm] (14008)

Les tableaux suivants montrent les noms des navires, à la fois le renommage allemand et américain d'origine. NOTEZ que ce tableau ne montre pas les navires allemands pris comme réparations d'après-guerre.

Noms des anciens navires de troupe allemands (anciens)

George Washington (George Washington)

Frédéric der Grosse (Huron)

Kaiser Guillaume II (Agamemnon)

Kronprinz Wilhelm (Von Steuben)

Kronprinzessin Cécile (Mont Vernon)

Président Grant (Président Grant)

Président Lincoln (Président Lincoln)

La princesse Irène (Pocahontas)

Le même tableau, mais trié par le nom du navire américain :

Kaiser Guillaume II (Agamemnon)

George Washington (George Washington)

Frédéric der Grosse (Huron)

Kronprinzessin Cécile (Mont Vernon)

La princesse Irène (Pocahontas)

Président Grant (Président Grant)

Président Lincoln (Président Lincoln)

Kronprinz Wilhelm (Von Steuben)

Navires étrangers

Un certain nombre de navires étrangers ont également été utilisés pour déplacer des troupes et du personnel américains vers et depuis la France.

Duca Degli Abruzzi (italien)

Navires utilisés uniquement pour le retour des troupes

Ces listes sont longues, elles ont donc été déplacées vers leur propre page Web. Voir : navires utilisés pour le retour des troupes américaines après la Première Guerre mondiale.

Quelques images sont disponibles de ces navires. Le Naval Historical Center conserve des informations sur tous les navires connus utilisés par ou une partie de la marine américaine. Suivez le lien ci-dessus et utilisez leur fonction de « recherche » pour trouver des images de navires tels que : Santa Olivia, Pannonie , et Kentuckien.


USS Pastores - Histoire

La société doit son existence à un capitaine Baker qui a transporté un groupe de mineurs au Venezuela depuis Boston en 1870 sur sa goélette auxiliaire TELEGRAPH et a mis à Port Morant, en Jamaïque, lors de son voyage de retour pour trouver une cargaison pour payer ses dépenses sur le voyage vers le nord. Il y a acheté 160 tiges de bananes non mûres pour 40 $ qu'il a vendues à Jersey City pour 320 $. L'année suivante, il retourne en Jamaïque et commence à expédier des bananes à Boston. Il a progressivement acheté des goélettes de plus en plus grandes et a également acheté des plantations de bananes en Jamaïque. Un accord de travail a été conclu avec Atlas SS Co, Liverpool jusqu'en 1901, date à laquelle il a été racheté par Hamburg America Line. En 1884, Baker avec J. H. Freeman et A. Preston forma la Boston Fruit Co et acheta leur propre bateau à vapeur et en 1889 vendit leurs goélettes restantes. Boston Fruit Co. a fusionné avec les principaux opérateurs du commerce des fruits en 1899 pour former la United Fruit Company of New Jersey. La société a continué à se développer dans les territoires des Caraïbes et d'Amérique centrale et à absorber des sociétés concurrentes. Ils ont acheté une demi-action de Standard Fruit Co en 1906, mais sont devenus la cible des lois antitrust et ont été contraints de la vendre en 1908. En 1909, ils ont également vendu leurs actions d'Atlantic Fruit Co et ont reçu l'ordre de se départir de tout actions de la Bluefields SS Co. En 1910, l'UFC avait acquis une participation majoritaire dans la société britannique Elders & Fyffes Co et les navires étaient régulièrement transférés entre les deux flottes. United Fruit a fusionné avec Cuyamel Fruit Co en 1929. En 1970, United Fruit Co a été absorbée par United Brands et s'est ensuite départie de ses navires battant pavillon américain. Tous les navires appartenant à l'entreprise ont ensuite été enregistrés sous le pavillon hondurien sous la propriété d'Empresa Hondurena de Vapores, Tela, Honduras. United Brands a été racheté par Chiquita Brands International, Cincinnati dans les années 1980 et possède la plus grande flotte de bateaux bananes au monde, mais aucun d'entre eux ne navigue désormais sous pavillon américain.

La liste de la flotte contient des navires de passagers et de fret appartenant à la United Fruit Company par l'intermédiaire de ses compagnies maritimes américaines, britanniques, néerlandaises, honduriennes et panaméennes, ainsi que des navires affrétés à temps - norvégiens, britanniques, allemands et danois. Cela n'inclut pas les navires Elders & Fyffes qui ne fonctionnaient pas directement sous United Fruit Co. (Voir Elders & Fyffes) Pour un historique de la United Fruit Company, voir http://www.unitedfruit.org/

Un grand merci à Ted Finch pour son aide dans la collecte de ces données. La liste suivante a été extraite de diverses sources. Cette liste n'est pas exhaustive, mais ne doit être utilisée qu'à titre indicatif. Si vous souhaitez en savoir plus sur un navire, visitez les descriptions des navires (sur place) ou Navire d'immigrants site Internet.

ENTREPRISES ASSOCIÉES DRAPEAU ÉTRANGER

néerlandais Koninklijke West Indische Maildienst.
Caraibische Scheepvaart Maats (van Nievelt & Goudriaan & Co.)
Britanique Unifruitco
Compagnie de fruits tropicaux
Atlas S.S.Co.
Hondurien Empresa Hondurena de Vapores.
panaméen Balboa S.S.Co.

Parcours : La côte est des États-Unis et les ports de la Nouvelle-Orléans et du Golfe vers les Caraïbes, l'Amérique centrale et la Colombie.

Entonnoir:
Entonnoir chamois avec une large bande rouge sous le dessus noir. La bande rouge contient un gros diamant blanc.

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) Tous droits réservés - Copyright © 1997-présent
Ces pages peuvent être librement liées mais non dupliquées de quelque manière que ce soit sans le consentement écrit de .
Dernière mise à jour : 23 novembre 2006 et maintenue par et M. Kohli


Pasteurs

Les pasteurs étaient des bergers, généralement d'origine hispanique du Nouveau-Mexique, qui se sont installés avec leurs troupeaux le long de la rivière Canadian et de ses affluents au cours des années 1870 et au début des années 1880. Bien qu'ils ne soient restés que pendant une brève période, ils ont eu un impact significatif à la fois sur la société et l'agriculture du Texas Panhandle. Comme de nombreux troupeaux de moutons avaient pratiquement dépassé les aires de répartition disponibles au Nouveau-Mexique en 1874, le pasteurs a commencé à regarder vers le Llano Estacado avec ses vallées fluviales luxuriantes et ses prairies apparemment sans fin. Même avant 1874, quelques bergers indiens et mexicains audacieux gardaient probablement leurs troupeaux de façon saisonnière le long du Haut-Canada jusqu'à la région actuelle du comté d'Oldham. Parfois, ils utilisaient les anciens campements cibolero et Comanchero sur lesquels ils érigeaient des abris sous roche bruts. Dans leur recherche du meilleur herbe et eau itinérante pasteurs On pense qu'ils ont fait de grands circuits et suivi d'anciennes routes commerciales indiennes aussi loin à l'est que le canyon Palo Duro ou au-delà à l'occasion. Souvent, plusieurs grands troupeaux parcouraient simultanément le circuit sous l'œil vigilant d'un maire, qui, avec l'aide de chiens de berger bien dressés, dirigeait le mouvement des moutons lorsqu'il passait d'un troupeau à l'autre. Bien que mal armés et donc cibles faciles pour les guerriers nomades, les pasteurs entretenaient généralement des relations assez pacifiques avec les tribus des Plaines. Malgré cela, ils sont restés méfiants envers les Indiens qui auraient pu en vouloir à leur intrusion. Au cours des années 1860, un petit groupe de familles du Nouveau-Mexique a établi une colonie sur la rivière Canadian en aval du ruisseau Parker, sur un site situé maintenant dans le comté d'Oldham, mais ils n'y sont restés que brièvement. Peu après la guerre de Sécession, un berger du nom d'Antonio Baca aurait dirigé 30 000 têtes dans la région de l'actuel Oklahoma Panhandle, mais en raison du danger potentiel indien, ces personnes de passage pasteurs n'est jamais resté longtemps. Après la guerre de la rivière Rouge, lorsque les Indiens nomades étaient confinés dans leurs réserves, pasteurs a commencé à infiltrer le Panhandle plus fréquemment. Certains d'entre eux faisaient du commerce avec des groupes de chasseurs d'Indiens qui, avec des permis des agents du gouvernement fédéral, recherchaient les quelques bisons restants dans la région. Les pasteurs échangé du bétail et des marchandises de Las Vegas et d'autres villes du Nouveau-Mexique contre des chevaux et tout ce que les Indiens avaient à offrir. Ce commerce a progressivement diminué à mesure que les chasseurs de peaux exterminaient les troupeaux de buffles autrefois nombreux.

Probablement le premier parti important de pasteurs s'installer dans le Panhandle a été dirigé par les frères Ventural et Justo Borrego, qui ont peut-être colonisé la région dès 1874, mais l'ont ensuite abandonnée momentanément lorsque la guerre de la rivière Rouge a éclaté. Au début du printemps 1876, les Borregos ont amené plusieurs familles de Taos à un site près de la rive sud de la Canadian, à environ un mile au sud d'Atascosa Springs. Là, ils ont construit un place, c'est-à-dire une seule rangée de maisons en pierre et en pisé, et des bergeries en pierre érigées autour de deux petites buttes près de la berge à 100 mètres. Peu de temps après, Juan Dominquez et sa famille ont construit leurs adobes à côté de la place Borrego. Des contreforts au-dessus de Las Vegas est venue une caravane de carretas dirigé par Jesús Marie Trujillo. Sa place a été érigée sur le ruisseau qui porte son nom à huit milles en amont de sa jonction avec le Canadien. Le plus grand groupe de pasteurs est venu avec la caravane de Casimero Romero du comté de Mora en novembre 1876. Après avoir campé pour l'hiver dans un bosquet de peupliers à un coude du Canadien près de son confluent avec le ruisseau Rica, Romero a construit sa maison en pisé près du ruisseau Atascosa. Plusieurs sources bien arrosées et un large vega (pré) protégé par des collines abritantes s'étendait près de cet endroit, qui devint la ville de Tascosa. Agapito Sandoval a choisi un site sur le ruisseau Consiño, sur la rive nord de la Canadian huit milles en aval des Romeros. Eugenio Romero, un frère de Casimero, et ses deux fils ont choisi un endroit sur Rita Blanca Creek, dans l'actuel comté de Hartley au nord-ouest de Tascosa, et ont fondé la communauté de Romero Springs. Au printemps de 1877, alors que la nouvelle de l'herbe abondante, des sources jaillissantes et des ruisseaux clairs dans les failles canadiennes atteignit le Nouveau-Mexique, d'autres pasteurs, dont Isidro Sierna et Miguel Garcia, ont amené leurs familles. En 1878, Mariano Montoya avait situé sa place à la jonction des ruisseaux Punta de Agua et Rita Blanca et fut bientôt rejoint par la famille de José Piedad Tafoya, l'ancien doyen de Comancheros.

En plus des places dans la région de Tascosa, d'autres ont été érigées ailleurs le long des pauses canadiennes. Salinas Plaza, named for a nearby salt lake that had long been a valuable source of the mineral for both Indians and New Mexicans, was the westernmost, located in a sandy area in present Oldham County near the New Mexico line at one time it was home to about twenty-five Mexican families. Juan Chavez, a former cibolero, established another plaza at the mouth of a picturesque canyon near the Canadian's north bank a few miles northeast of Salinas. The Chavez group raised their own vegetables, melons, and grain in addition to livestock, and later Narcisco Gallegos opened a store there. A third plaza, Tecolote, was also located near the New Mexico line across the Canadian from Chavez. There was also a plaza established on the old Comanchero campsite at Tecovas Springs in Potter County southeast of Tascosa, and a smaller one at Joaquin Spring, on the west bank of a small tributary, later became noted for its saloon. In all, over a dozen plazas dotted the Canadian Valley, most of them in the area of Oldham County. These settlements usually consisted of several houses, all built out of thin, flat native sandstone held together by adobe mortar, with walls around eighteen inches thick and containing beehive-shaped adobe hearths. Irrigation ditches, or acequias, were dug to divert water from nearby creeks and springs to cultivated gardens. Sheep corrals, also of sandstone, were erected nearby, and many empleados of various pastores resided in crude dugout shelters.

Along with the Hispanics, a few Anglo-American pioneers moved into the Canadian Valley. Back in 1874 Henry Kimball and Theodore Briggs had been among a party of soldiers from Fort Union who participated in a buffalo hunt on the Canadian. Finding the area to their liking, the two men, both of whom had married native Hispanic women, vowed to settle there as soon as their enlistments had expired. Accordingly, Kimball and his family followed the Romeros to Atascosa Creek, where he built a one-room house near its junction with the Canadian. At a nearby spring Kimball set up a blacksmith shop, thus becoming the Panhandle's first resident farrier. Among other things he planted several cottonwood saplings he had collected on the Canadian. Briggs and his family arrived soon afterward and on Romero's suggestion chose a site protected by high bluffs on Rica Creek a mile and a half above the Canadian and six miles west of the Romero plaza. Sometime late in 1876 the Casper brothers from California brought their flocks to the upper waters of the Red River, and by 1878 the New Zealand Sheep Company, owned by James Campbell and A. B. Ledgard, had established its headquarters on Rita Blanca Creek northwest of Tascosa. The Canadian Valley thus took on the aspects of a boom as sheepmen vied for the best pastures and watering places. Most of the sheep the pastores brought in were probably a cross between the Spanish chaurro and Merino breeds, which adapted well to the harsh Panhandle environment. At first the majority of pastores utilized the old Spanish transchumante system of moving flocks annually between summer and winter ranges. Early in the spring, the sheep were trailed out of the Canadian Valley onto the plains' pastures by lambing time and kept there until the later months, when they usually were trailed back to the valley by shearing time larger blocks, however, were sheared while still on the range and the wool transported to market directly by wagon. Since abundant grass and sufficient water were quite scarce during dry periods, sheep grazing circuits extended for miles into the Red River basin as far southeast as Tule and Quitaque canyons and beyond into the upper Brazos drainage area. Jesús Perea ran 30,000 sheep to Tahoka Lake and the Yellowhouse and Blanco canyons. Since he needed a tremendous amount of grazing land and water for such a large flock, Perea scattered them widely over much of the South Plains. Portions of the Panhandle region, particularly the northeastern area that was infested with locoweed and the dry, arid southwestern reaches, proved totally unsuitable for sheep raising. As more ranches crowded the region, grazing circuits became more fixed. Certains pastores erected crude stone pens on the open range to shelter themselves and their flocks, while others like Casimero Romero carried portable wooden sheepfolds with them. During the winter the sheep were bedded inside the stone and adobe corrals near the plazas sometimes grassy areas protected by bluffs were fenced in. Sheep owners like Perea with larger flocks often divided labor among four types: the shepherd, or pastor, who watched over a flock of roughly 1,500 head was the lowest in rank over him was a vaquero who picked out the watering places and grazing areas for the day. UNE caporal supervised several vaqueros, while the mayordomo, who was in charge of the caporales, ran the entire operation. These large operations maintained their flocks in bands of 2,500 to 3,000 head, with two or three herders to each band. Hirelings, many of whom were Pueblo and Navajo Indians, were reportedly paid as high as $15.00 a month, with board around $4.75. Most of the sheep along the Canadian, however, were raised in smaller flocks for which the owner performed most of the tasks himself, including shearing and lambing.

Life in the Panhandle plazas was simple, unhurried, and little different from what the pastores had known in New Mexico. Shepherds and their dogs kept a sharp eye out for coyotes and wolves during the day and at night drove their flocks into the protection of the corrals. A few cattle, horses, goats, and chickens were also kept around the plazas. Fishing, hunting, trapping, cockfights, and rooster races were favorite pastimes one favorite game was La Pelota, a crude form of field hockey. Fiestas featuring lively, all-night bailes (dances) with Latin flavor also added zest for living and attracted everyone from miles around visitors included cowboys from neighboring cattle spreads who anxiously sought chances to dance with lovely senoritas and freely indulge in their hosts' spicy foods and strong drinks. Indians from New Mexico and the Indian Territory who came by to trade also provided an occasional break from an otherwise monotonous existence. Since the plazas were largely isolated except for the military road between forts Elliott and Bascom, the pastores were initially ignored by the Texas state officials in Austin and thus had neither taxes to pay nor any urgent obligations to the outside world.

Les pastores faithfully adhered to the Catholicism they had known in their homeland. Although there was no organized church in Tascosa prior to the late 1880s, Fr. Clemente Payron from New Mexico's Chaperito Mission made frequent visits to the Panhandle plazas, where he conducted masses and administered the sacraments. Usually the visiting priest stayed at the Romero home. Sometime in 1877 a shady Frenchman who called himself Padre Green came to the Panhandle and established a sheep ranch on Rita Blanca Creek twelve miles south of present Channing. Claiming that he was a Catholic priest collecting for the church, Green began demanding a 10 percent tithe from the settlers, usually 100 sheep for each 1,000 a sheepman possessed. While he seldom performed any clerical functions and failed to deliver his tithes to the church, Green built up a vast flock and produced an abundance of wool, which he kept in a large adobe shed he had constructed on the Rita Blanca before carrying it to market. Prior to 1880 he sold his holdings and left the Canadian Valley in search of greater opportunities.

Even as the pastores were building their plazas, other forces were rapidly developing that would soon end their almost tranquil existence. The cold-blooded murder of the Casner brothers and their Navajo herdsman by Sostenes l'Archeveque in late 1876 and the wave of violence that followed caused several pastores and their families to flee back to New Mexico in terror of "those Californians," as they called the vengeful John and Lew Casner. The Gunter and Munson firm from Sherman surveyed the area in the late 1870s. What was more, by 1880 several wealthy New Mexico merchants and ranchers in Albuquerque, Las Vegas, and other places had begun drifting their large flocks onto the Panhandle. En utilisant le partido system of sharing profits from wool clip, these partidarios often crowded out the ranges of the smaller sheepmen. Although some pastores like Mariano Montoya and Antonio Baca found new markets in Kansas and Colorado, the influx of free range cattle outfits into the area brought a new and greater challenge to land ownership and use. While Charles Goodnight restricted his operations to the eastern Panhandle, other cattlemen like Ellsworth Torrey, Thomas S. Bugbee, David T. Beals, and W. H. Bates established their headquarters and grazed their herds along the Canadian breaks. As early as 1877, George W. Littlefield bought out Henry Kimball and turned the latter's home, along with his Cottonwood Springs, into the LIT Ranch headquarters. Coupled with the cattlemen's arrival, a period of drought caused others like Jesus Trujillo to abandon their plazas by 1878. Although nearly 400 pastores with roughly 108,000 sheep were reported in the Panhandle by the 1880 census, these numbers dropped drastically during the next decade, until by 1890 there were only 10,000 sheep in the entire area. Laws restricting the movements of itinerant pastores to prevent the spread of scab and other diseases were passed by the Texas legislature during the 1870s and 1880s. With the organization of Oldham County in 1880, taxes were imposed on the sheepmen. While some of the New Mexican settlers, like Mariano Montoya and Juan Chavez, were elected to various offices in the new county government, the populace and culture of their Anglo neighbors soon came to dominate their environment. Tascosa quickly grew into a booming, rowdy cowtown as more businessmen like George J. Howard, James E. McMasters, Mickey McCormick, and the brothers John and Will Cone moved in. The abandoned Trujillo plaza was taken over by Charles and Frank Sperling and turned into a stage stop on the mail line between Mobeetie and Las Vegas.

The final blow to the pastores' plazas came with the advent of barbed wire fencing to the Panhandle in the early 1880s. When William M. D. Lee , who detested sheep, began buying up ranch land along the Canadian in 1882, he occasionally resorted to threats and bribery to coerce the sheepmen into moving their flocks back to New Mexico. By 1884 most of the plazas had been vacated and either had been cleared away or were being used as line camps by the LE and ranches LS. Casimero Romero, having lost many of his sheep to a blizzard, sold the remainder and operated his own freighting business from Tascosa to Dodge City, Kansas, until 1896. Antonio Trujillo switched to cattle after one cowman accused Trujillo's sheep of infecting his horses with mange. Agapito Sandoval remained at his plaza on Corsino Creek until 1887. Throughout this period of rapid change there had been no open warfare between cattlemen and sheepmen in the Canadian valley. As the first group to actually settle the Texas Panhandle, the pastores had located valuable watering places, further developed the old trade routes previously used by Comancheros and hide hunters, and encouraged others to move permanently onto the isolated ranges. What was more, they proved that sheep could be raised successfully in the area and showed, though not to the cowmen's immediate satisfaction, that both sheep and cattle could share the same pastures. To this day many of the creeks, canyons, and other geographical features along the Canadian retain their Spanish names. Several stone ruins of plazas and sheep corrals still dot the sites, mostly on private ranch properties, along the breaks in Oldham County, and the old Frying Pan Ranch spring house in western Potter County is believed to be the last remnant of that plaza.


The scandals that brought down the Bakkers, once among US's most famous televangelists

Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker once held a multimillion-dollar TV empire.

ɽivinely UNFAITHFUL' - the 2-hour 20/20 event - Tonight at 9/8c on ABC

An encore presentation of this "20/20" report will air TONIGHT, Friday, Dec. 20, at 9 p.m. ET on ABC

Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker were among the most famous televangelists in America, living a life of luxury with multiple houses, expensive cars and more money than God, when their empire all came crashing down amid sex and financial scandals.

But in the years following the demise of their ministry, the Bakkers didn't let a prison sentence, the loss of their massively popular multimillion-dollar TV network, the closure of their "Christian version of Disneyland" theme park, financial ruin, a divorce and being the butt of many "Saturday Night Live" jokes keep them down - or away from the spotlight.

By the mid-'70s, the Bakkers were becoming household names through their TV show, "The PTL Club" -- PTL stood for "Praise the Lord" or “People That Love.” Initially it aired on a small North Carolina station owned by media mogul Ted Turner.

"What [Bakker] really wanted to do. was create a Christian version of 'The Tonight Show'," said John Wigger, author of “PTL: The Rise and Fall of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker’s Evangelical Empire.” "Which was really the first of Bakker's big innovations, the Christian talk show."

The Bakkers purchased airtime on TV stations across the United States, Wigger said, in order to run their various programs. In 1978, Jim Bakker created a satellite network to distribute his paid programming more efficiently and widely.

To fund his enterprise, the Bakkers hosted telethons and asked viewers to sign up for monthly pledges to become “PTL Club” partners.

"Instead of us running a commercial and being paid for that commercial, we just went directly to our viewers and said, 'If you like what you see, help us’. All of your favorite shows are asking you to give them money by buying their products. It's no different,'" said former PTL security chief Don Hardister.

The money, according to Hardister, came pouring in.

"We had a cash office and at times there was certainly more money in than. I could imagine," he said." "People would send us mink coats, diamond rings, deeds. I mean, we got all sorts of donations."

By the mid-'80s, the Bakkers, who had two children by then, had built a multimillion-dollar empire.'

"What we didn't realize was this would come to an end," Hardister said. "I never dreamed that it would come to an end."

The income from their satellite network allowed the Bakkers to purchase a total of 2,300 acres of land for a new venture -- a 500-room hotel and waterpark complex they called Heritage USA, located in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

"Bakker had always been fascinated by Walt Disney," he said. "He sat back and said, 'Why can't we have a Christian version of Disneyland?"

Bakker asked followers to give $1,000 for "lifetime partnerships" that would entitle them to an annual three-night stay at the Heritage Grand hotel, but this would be one of the first of many cracks in the Bakkers' empire.

"Problem is, there were way too many people giving $1,000, not nearly enough hotel rooms," said Mark Becker, a reporter for Charlotte-based ABC affiliate WSOC-TV, who reported on the Bakkers.

"He sold more than 66,000 lifetime partnerships in the Heritage Grand, which amounted to more than 100 percent occupancy in that hotel," Wigger said.

Then in January 1987, Jim Bakker had just broken ground on a $100-million dollar ministry center he dubbed the Crystal Palace when Wigger said, "Tammy Faye had a breakdown."

Hardister said he was with Tammy Faye when it happened.

"They left me in the house alone with Tammy, and that's when she started hallucinating," he said. "And I couldn't believe I'm there by myself with this lady and she'd taken her clothes off, and Tammy didn't do that kind of stuff around me. We all knew she had some prescription drug problems."

Two months later, the Bakkers disclosed to their viewers in a videotaped message that Tammy Faye was being treated for drug dependency. But then they were rocked again when their hometown newspaper, The Charlotte Observer, published an expose revealing Jim Bakker had a sexual encounter more than 6 years earlier with Jessica Hahn, a young church secretary from Long Island, New York.

Hahn later claimed that in December 1980, when she was 21 years old, Jim Bakker allegedly sexually assaulted her. The ministry then paid more than $200,000 in hush money. Jim Bakker disputed her account of a sexual assault and years later, he wrote in his book, "I Was Wrong," that the sex was consensual.

"The way Jessica Hahn later described her sexual encounter with Jim Bakker sounds very much like rape," Wigger said. "She later told me that she doesn’t really feel comfortable talking about it in those terms, but she also clearly didn’t believe that it was consensual."

Needing to lay low at the time, Jim Bakker resigned from PTL and turned to Jerry Falwell, another well-known televangelist and minister, to step in and run the ministry until the Hahn scandal blew over.

"Bakker said [to Falwell], 'I'd like you to take the helm of PTL and hold it together. I need to take some time with my wife and family,'" said Mark DeMoss, a former Falwell spokesman.

But what Falwell didn't know at the time, Wigger said, was that PTL was "deeply in debt."

"Leveraged to the point of collapse. they're bleeding two million dollars a month," he said. "The other thing that comes to light is that [Jim] Bakker allegedly had a number of same-sex relationships."

At a press conference in May 1987, Falwell said the Bakkers were no longer fit to lead PTL, accusing Jim Bakker of being secretly gay and claimed that Tammy Faye Bakker made a long list of demands in order for them to give up plans to come back to PTL that included large annual salaries, two cars, a maid for one year and a furnished house on a lake, among other things.

The Bakkers too went on a media tour. In a May 1987 interview with Ted Koppel for "Nightline," Tammy Faye didn't deny making that list of demands.

"He [Falwell] asked us what we felt that, after all these years of the ministry, of leaving the ministry, what we should have," she told Koppel at the time. "And you know, when you're negotiating --"

"You start out at the top," Jim Bakker finished for her.

Reflecting on that interview today, Koppel said, "Over the years, I did over 6,000 'Nightlines,' that was number one. Not in my heart . but in terms of what had the greatest appeal to the greatest number of people. That was it."

The government began reviewing PTL’s finances, as well as the spending and compensation of the Bakkers and other top PTL officials. At one point, the Bakkers’ vast portfolio included several homes, a private jet, two Rolls Royces, a Mercedes Benz, expensive clothes and an air-conditioned doghouse.

"It was quite a lengthy investigation," said former ABC News correspondent Rebecca Chase. "But ultimately culminated in significant indictments. for Jim Bakker and all of his lieutenants."

Meanwhile, Jessica Hahn went on to pose for "Playboy" magazine multiple times and made several appearances on "The Howard Stern Show" that continued for years afterward.

Jim Bakker was indicted in 1988 on eight counts of mail fraud, 15 counts of wire fraud and one count of conspiracy.

"Tammy Faye was not indicted," said Suzanne Stevens, a former WSOC-TV anchor who covered the Bakkers. "But that was the big talk: How could she have not known? She was wearing fur coats, she was wearing rings."

Even Bakker’s trial, which took place before federal Judge Robert Potter, was marred by drama.

"One of the witnesses the prosecution called was Steve Nelson, and Nelson's department at PTL had been in charge of collecting the data on lifetime partnerships, so Nelson knew that Jim Bakker knew the lifetime partnership program was oversold," Wigger said.

During his testimony, Nelson collapsed on the stand and had to be taken to the hospital.

"When he fainted, it was this silence and. a voice from the audience came [up and said], 'Oh, he's giving his life to God,' . and Bakker's attorney called him [Jim Bakker] up, 'Jim, Jim,' as if there's going to be a miracle, he can bring him back to life," said Jerry McJunkins, who was one of several court sketch artists covering the trial.

"Jim literally thought [Nelson] had died," added Hardister.

The next day, Jim Bakker "had a psychological breakdown," Wigger said, saying he was hallucinating that “the reporters outside the courtroom looked to him like giant bugs."

"He was curled up underneath his attorney's couch," Hardister said. "I think the weight of that trial and the weight of everything that he had done, good and bad, just crushed him."

Judge Potter ordered Bakker to be committed to a psychiatric ward in a federal prison and the trial was put on hold.

Six days later, Jim Bakker emerged, ready to take the stand in his own defense.

On Oct. 5, 1989, a jury found Bakker guilty on all 24 counts. He was sentenced to 45 years in prison and ordered to pay a $500,000 fine.

Jim Bakker filed an appeal, arguing that his sentence was too long for the crimes. In 1991, the appellate court upheld his conviction but granted him a sentence-reduction hearing, during which he was granted a reduced prison sentence from 45 years down to eight years. He ended up serving almost five years of that sentence before being paroled in 1994.

While Jim Bakker was in prison, Tammy Faye filed for divorce. Shortly thereafter, she married Roe Messner, the contractor who built Heritage USA. But after the financial fallout of PTL, Messner was sentenced in 1996 to 27 months in federal prison for bankruptcy fraud.


USS Pastores - History

Quem Pastores Laudavere is a Latin Christmas carol found in a manuscript dating back to the 14 th century. It is here performed by the Taverner Choir

Quem pastores laudavere,
Quibus Angeli dixere,
Absit vobis jam timere,
Natus est Rex gloriæ.

Ad quem Reges ambulabant,
Aurum, thus, myrrham portabant,
Immolabant hæc sincere,
Leoni victoriæ.

Exultemus cum Maria,
In Cœlesti Hierarchia,
Natum promat voce pia,
Dulci cum melodia.

Christo Regi, Deo nato,
Per Mariam nobis dato,
Merito resonet vere,
Laus honor et gloria.


English Translation:

The One who the shepherds praised,
And about whom the Angels told:
'Abandon your present fears,'
The King of Glory is born.

To Him the Kings walked,
Carrying gold, frankincense and myrrh,
Offering them religiously,
For the Lion's victory.

Let us rejoice with Mary,
In union with the Celestial Hierarchy,
Singing a pious song to the Newborn,
That be sweet in its melody.


Pastores, Los

Los pastores (pronounced lohs pah-STOH-rays) means "the shepherds" in Spanish. This is the name given to a Mexican folk drama that tells the story of the shepherds' pilgrimage to the newborn Christ child. The play is also referred to as La Pastorela, which means "the pastoral" or "the country story" in Spanish. Performances of this play usually take place in mid to late December. The Gospel according to Luke (2:8-20) states that an angel announced Jesus' birth to a group of shepherds and encouraged them to make a pilgrimage to Bethlehem. The shepherds went to Bethlehem and found the Christ child, confirming the words of the angel. The story told in Los Pastores is loosely based on this Bible passage.

The roots of the Shepherds'Play can be traced back to the mystery or miracle plays of medieval Europe (see also Nativity Play). These plays began as brief interludes during church services in which the clergy enacted simple versions of Bible stories and religious doctrines. These liturgical dramas began sometime around the tenth and eleventh centuries. The clergy used them to teach elements of the Christian religion to a largely illiterate population. The plays proved popular and, eventually, folk performers began to stage them in public arenas. Many changes accompanied this shift. The new folk dramas embroidered the original plots, adding humorous and racy dialogue, characters, and events. These innovations caused the Church to ban these performances in the fifteenth century.

Many of these plays dealt with the stories behind the Christian holidays and were performed on those days. The Shepherds' Play was one of a number of stories enacted at Christmas time. During the fifteenth century several Spanish authors developed elaborate written versions of The Shepherds' Play, or Los Pastores. These plays featured coarse and comical shepherds who entertained audiences by responding to the great events surrounding the Nativity with fear, greed, and confusion. In fact, the amusing antics of the shepherds nearly eclipsed the solemn story of the Nativity.

In the sixteenth century Spanish missionaries came to Mexico to convert the native peoples to Christianity. The Native Americans not only came from very different cultural backgrounds than did the Spanish, but also spoke very different languages. In order to bridge this gap the missionaries decided to use mystery plays to teach them Bible stories. They introduced Los Pastores sometime during the sixteenth century.

Like the mystery plays of medieval Europe, Los Pastores eventually passed from the hands of the clergy and the church grounds to the hands of the people and the public plaza. This transition produced similar results. Although the basic outline of the story remained the same, the play continued to evolve along the same lines it had followed in Europe. Over time new characters and events were added to the play. The drama evolved into a comedy in which the Devil tries to distract the dull-witted shepherds from their quest and heaven's angels intercede to keep the oafish pilgrims on course.

Plot and Characters

Although the plots may vary somewhat according to local traditions, a number of main characters appear in every version of the play. The starring roles go to the shepherds. They are portrayed as lazy, thickheaded, and easily distracted from their quest by opportunities to eat, sleep, or flirt. In fact, these less-than-heroic shepherds must be coaxed and even argued into setting out on their pilgrimage. At some point they encounter an elderly though spunky hermit. The hermit helps keep the shepherds on their course and entertains the audience with his sharp tongue. A scheming Devil appears throughout the play, sometimes disguised to fool the shepherds and sometimes in a traditional red costume complete with horns and a tail. He and his minions attempt to lure the shepherds away from their pilgrimage by appealing to all their weaknesses.

Often, the play also includes the angel Gabriel, who announces Jesus'birth to the shepherds, and the archangel Michael, who descends from heaven to protect the shepherds from the Devil's temptations. Sometimes a host of angels must battle a squadron of devils in order to protect the boorish travelers. At last, however, the shepherds arrive in Bethlehem and present their gifts to the Holy Family. The play ends with the Devil conceding defeat.

Local townspeople, schools, and even semi-professional acting groups present versions of Los Pastores. The drama is usually staged in some public place, like a plaza or a church, but may also be presented at someone's home. It may last anywhere from half an hour to several hours. Actors use dialogue, song, dance, verse, costume, and melodramatics to convey the story. This Mexican folk drama may be found in numerous towns and cities in the United States, especially in areas where many Mexican Americans live, such as the southwestern states. Some American folklorists point out, however, that fewer and fewer folk performances are given each year. Instead, the tradition is being carried on by professional and semi-professional actors. The city of San Antonio, Texas, at one point hosted dozens of amateur troupes dedicated to the presentation of Los Pastores. Today only one amateur group remains, bringing about twenty performances a year to churches, missions, or people's backyards between Christmas Eve and Candlemas, February 2. In addition, the San Antonio Conservation Society presents the public with a more formal, professional version of the play each year at the city's San José Mission.


USS Pastores - History

In the mid-to-late nineteenth century sheep herders, or pastores, from New Mexico extensively pastured their flocks in the western section of present Cimarron County and contiguous areas in present eastern New Mexico, the Texas Panhandle, southwestern Kansas, and southeastern Colorado. A part of the Great Plains called the High Plains, the region offered vast, continuous grasslands in the watersheds of the Cimarron, Beaver (North Canadian), and "South" Canadian rivers, which headed in northeastern New Mexico and drained the Oklahoma and Texas Panhandles. Playa lakes also dotted the landscape. Abundant gramma, little bluestem, and buffalo grasses provided ample forage for bison and antelope and later for domesticated herd animals.

The New Mexico sheep industry, a major aspect of the economy, dated from the sixteenth century when Spanish settlers had brought herds north from Mexico. Although all social classes might own sheep, by the early nineteenth century this resource became concentrated in the hands of a few wealthy menin the central part of the province. Central New Mexico, however, offered too few pastures to sustain large flocks, but the free-range grassland to the east could support hundreds of thousands of woolybacks.

Well known to the ranchers and merchants of New Mexico, much of the eastern grassland lay within a transportation corridor leading from New Mexico to the middle United States. The Santa Fe–Missouri trade, which developed in the 1820s, used the Cimarron Cut-off of the Santa Fe Trail, which crossed through present Union County, New Mexico, and Cimarron County, Oklahoma. New Mexico ciboleros, or buffalo hunters, and comancheros, or traders to the Comanche, conducted their activities throughout the grasslands. The Santa Fe–Missouri connection also provided New Mexicans with a market for wool and woven goods, and thus the Santa Fe trade was a major stimulus to the sheep industry. In the 1830s Josiah Gregg, chronicler of the Santa Fe Trail, observed and later described in detail in Commerce of the Prairies (1834) his encounter with shepherds and their flocks in the High Plains. In addition, breeding-stock sheep and sheep destined for slaughterhouses were driven from central New Mexico through Las Vegas and eastward along the Santa Fe Trail for sale in Kansas and Nebraska. Because these activities took place, in the last half of the nineteenth century numerous Hispanic communities, or placitas, developed near the trail's path through present Union and Cimarron counties.

Sheep herding was systematically arranged as a vertical organization of responsibility. The owner, or patron, hired an experienced sheep man to be mayordomo, in charge of the entire pasturage operation. He hired mid-level managers called caporales, who hired vaqueros, or riders, who each supervised three herders, or pastores, who actually raised and cared for the sheep. "Wages" generally consisted of part of the increase in the flock and part of the wool, like sharecropping. Each pastor handled two to three thousand sheep. After spring lambing in east-central New Mexico, the pastor moved the herd eastward into the distant grasslands. In summer and autumn the flock traversed a wide circuit through the grassy plains around the Cimarron and Canadian rivers and returned westward to the mountain valleys for the winter. Sheep needed grass but could survive without much water pastores carried their own water and food. Les pastores established various "base camps," often building small houses and corrals of native stone, when available.

Prominent New Mexico sheep-raising families were grazing their flocks using the pastures of eastern New Mexico and the Oklahoma Panhandle after the mid-nineteenth century. Bartolome Baca, who had received a land grant southeast of Albuquerque in 1819, had established a large sheep operation in present Valencia County. In addition, the Luis Maria Cabeza de Baca family had grants in central and eastern New Mexico and in Colorado and was apparently using pastures in present Union County and in the Public Land Strip (or Neutral Strip, No Man's Land, Oklahoma Panhandle) at least by the late 1860s. Local historians maintain that an owner or mayordomo named José Albino Baca (the surname may actually be Cabeza de Baca) was reportedly responsible for twenty-five thousand sheep pastured annually in present Cimarron County. He employed sixty men, his pastores including Juan Cruz Lujan, Francisco Lujan, Ramon Bernal, and possibly Benito Baca, Jose Vicente Baca, and Juan Bernal. According to a 1935 interview with Juan Lujan, the headquarters of the herd was located around Carrizo Creek and Road Canyon. He indicated that the range of pasturage included Cimarron County and "'as far west as Folsom, New Mexico,'" in far western Union County. Les pastores established various sheep camps, and according to photographic evidence of structures in Cimarron County, often used local "sheep-pen" sandstone to built huts and corrals. Scattered ruins identified in a 2002 survey and excavation in the area of Black Mesa suggests that some may have kept semipermanent placitas. The herders used the eastern pasturages until the late 1870s when incoming cattlemen reportedly paid the Baca family to keep their sheep in New Mexico. Circa 1885 Juan Cruz Lujan turned a sheep camp on Corrumpa Creek into his own ranch. He was joined by his brothers Francisco, Lorenzo, and Alejandro, who came from Mora County, New Mexico. Turn-of-the-century photographs show that the Lujan ranch had a flat-roofed adobe house with a large addition, a chapel, and New Mexico–style, beehive-shaped baking ovens. The primary market for Lujan's wool and lambs lay in Trinidad, Colorado.

The descendants of the pastores continued to live and ranch in the Oklahoma Panhandle. The 1900 and 1910 U.S. Censuses recorded sizeable concentrations of Hispanic stock raisers, including the Lujans, in Harrison Township of Cimarron County. In 1899 a widely circulated newspaper report asserted that a "colony of three hundred New Mexicans" were raising sheep there, and approximately 125 individuals (25 surnames) are represented in the 1900 census. As late as 1920 and 1930 Juan Cruz Lujan still appeared in the census as a sheep rancher he died in Cimarron County in 1943. Although Anglo-Americans in the area primarily raised cattle, some raised sheep in Cimarron and adjoining counties. In 1906 more than a hundred New Mexican pastores were "imported" into Beaver County to care for flocks owned by Anglo sheep ranchers. By 1907 statehood Cimarron County numbered 9,011 sheep, more than any other Oklahoma county, and fully 25 percent of the new state's sheep population.

The Hispanic presence in Cimarron County remains visible in local place-names that include Carrizo, Castañeda (at Wolf Mountain, on the Santa Fe Trail), Cimarron, Delfin, Hidalgo, and Nieto Junction. Geographical designations include Corrumpa, Cienquilla, Tesesquite, Carrizozo, and Carrizo creeks, and Trujillo Springs. In the twentieth century some of the environment that served as pasture in the four-state area was preserved as the Rita Blanca National Grassland in Texas and Oklahoma, the Kiowa National Grassland in New Mexico, and the Comanche National Grassland in Kansas.

Bibliographie

H. Allen Anderson, "Pastores," in The New Handbook of Texas History, éd. Ron Tyler (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1995).

Magdalena Lujan Baca and Connie Espinosa Pendergast, "Sheep Ranchers in No Man's Land [typescript]," Vertical File, Cimarron Heritage Center, Boise City, Oklahoma.

Paul H. Carlson, "Panhandle Pastores: Early Sheepherding in the Texas Panhandle," Panhandle-Plains Historical Review 52 (1980).

Ezra A. Carman et al., Special Report on the History and Present Condition of the Sheep Industry of the United States, Bureau of Animal Industry, U.S. Department of Agriculture (Washington, D.C.: GPO, 1892).

Gary Gress, "From Maverick Lands to Managed Lands: Ranching and School Lands in Cimarron County, Oklahoma" (Ph.D. diss., University of Oklahoma, 2002).

Berenice Jackson, Man and the Oklahoma Panhandle (North Newton, Kans.: Mennonite Press, 1982).

Charles L. Kenner, New Mexican-Plains Indian Relations (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1969).

George Rainey, "A Visit with an Old Spaniard," in No Man's Land (Enid, Okla.: George Rainey, 1937).

Edward Norris Wentworth, America's Sheep Trails (Ames: Iowa State College, 1948).

Aucune partie de ce site ne peut être interprétée comme étant du domaine public.

Droits d'auteur sur tous les articles et autres contenus des versions en ligne et imprimées de L'Encyclopédie de l'histoire de l'Oklahoma est détenu par l'Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). Cela inclut les articles individuels (droit d'auteur à OHS par attribution d'auteur) et collectivement (en tant que corpus complet), y compris la conception Web, les graphiques, les fonctions de recherche et les méthodes de liste/navigation. Le droit d'auteur sur tous ces documents est protégé par le droit américain et international.

Les utilisateurs acceptent de ne pas télécharger, copier, modifier, vendre, louer, réimprimer ou autrement distribuer ces documents, ou de créer des liens vers ces documents sur un autre site Web, sans l'autorisation de l'Oklahoma Historical Society. Les utilisateurs individuels doivent déterminer si leur utilisation du matériel relève des directives de la loi sur le droit d'auteur des États-Unis et n'enfreint pas les droits de propriété de l'Oklahoma Historical Society en tant que détenteur légal du droit d'auteur de L'Encyclopédie de l'histoire de l'Oklahoma et en partie ou en totalité.

Crédits photos : Toutes les photographies présentées dans les versions publiées et en ligne de L'Encyclopédie de l'histoire et de la culture de l'Oklahoma sont la propriété de l'Oklahoma Historical Society (sauf indication contraire).

Citation

Ce qui suit (selon Le manuel de style de Chicago, 17e édition) est la citation préférée pour les articles :
Dianna Everett, &ldquoPastores,&rdquo L'Encyclopédie de l'histoire et de la culture de l'Oklahoma, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=PA029.

© Société historique de l'Oklahoma.

Société historique de l'Oklahoma | 800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | 405-521-2491
Index du site | Contactez-nous | Confidentialité | Salle de presse | Demandes de site Web


Voir la vidéo: Visto Religioso Para os EUA